Windows 10 problems with security

xania 19:56 12 Jul 2016
Answered

Having just recently upgraded to 10, my initial euphoria is gradually turning to disenchantment. But - no rant, just a couple of questions although there are lots more to follow:

1. Every time I switch on, it seems that WIndows 10 has thoughtfully closed my malware scanners, and I have to tell Windows to open it and then confirm that I am quite satisfied that the program is safe. How can I get Windows 10 to remember my choices. And why can I only have one scanner running? I Have Norton (virus and malware) and Spyboit (malware only)

2. Another annoyance is the fact that Windows now records every folder I open so that anyone who can access my computer can see what I've been up to - the file tab in Windows Explorer lists all my 'Frequent places'. I don't need this - if I really do need easy access to one, a simple link on the desktop suffices. How can I get Windows to stop remembering and clear out its existing memory, please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:03 12 Jul 2016

try

1. Type regedit in search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

If you don't see Explorer key, create it manually.

1. In right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableSearchBoxSuggestions and set its value to 1

2. Close Registry Editor and restart

xania 20:42 12 Jul 2016

Thanks Fruit Bat. Unfortunately, in HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows I only have a folder 'CurrentVersion' within which is a folder 'Internet Settings' within which is a folder '5.0' within which is a folder 'Cache'. No folder 'Explorer'

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:22 12 Jul 2016

If you don't see Explorer key, create it manually.

Secret-Squirrel 08:39 13 Jul 2016
Answer

Xania, regarding annoyance #2, click your Start button -> Settings -> Personalisation -> Start -> turn off "Show recently opened items.........". Does that help?

Regarding your first problem, have you restarted your computer (by choosing "Restart" from the power options)? If that doesn't help then it may be worth uninstalling then reinstalling those misbehaving apps but make sure first that they're Windows 10 compatible.

Secret-Squirrel 08:18 15 Jul 2016

How are you getting on Xania? My first suggestion on takes a few mouse clicks.

xania 14:53 17 Jul 2016

Sorry about the delay - have been away for a couple of days.

In the meanwhile, problem one seems to have solved itself, so thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I will keep your solution in case the problem recurs.

Problem two has been resolved by Secret Squirrels response, and I used CCleaner to remove all the existing entries.

Many thanks to you both.

Secret-Squirrel 09:01 18 Jul 2016

Thanks for the update :)

...........thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I will keep your solution in case the problem recurs.

That was a copy and paste from here and it's a fix for something different although it may come in handy for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)