Windows 10 problem post Creators Update

fourret 16:39 26 Jan 2018

Since the Creators update I have found that sometimes but not everytime I plug in an external drive I get the sounds of it being plugged in but it doesn't appear in File Explorer. This has happened with three different types of drive. An HDD for my backups, a camera memory card and a USB drive. When this happens the next time I restart I get blue screen telling me it will restart and a repair routine that doesn't work. I have to use System Restore to get running again. Any ideas welcome.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 26 Jan 2018

Right click start - Command Prompt (admin) - type

sfc /scannow

let windows scan for and replace missing or corrupt windows files, this will take a while to complete.

when complete type exit. Start - Power - Restart (Not shutdown)

see if your problem is better after the restart.

fourret 08:58 28 Jan 2018

Thanks Fruit Bat. Already tried sfc, ran it again and no errors found.

Govan1x 10:00 28 Jan 2018

Having the same problem as well so it will be interesting to see if you find a cure.

I assumed it was a usb cable fault so have sent for a new one.I also get the sounds but nothing shows.

Have you checked Device Manager and USB to make sure that there are no yellow exclamation marks.

I get the odd one that gives an error 43 or 34 on it. But does not mater what you do to try and fix it nothing works. If I delete it it just comes back the same.

At the moment I am trying to install a new SSD and when I plug it into the USB port I get the noise but nothing else. I hope the new cable connector will work when I get it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:08 28 Jan 2018

I'm assuming that the USB drivers have been replace by the update now generic Microsoft drivers.

If you know the make of USB controllers I suggest you try the latest drivers from the manufacturer.

Govan1x 10:17 28 Jan 2018

If I go to all settings. Devices. USB. It shows External drive on it but no information. If I unplug it, it disappears. So it seems it is registering on there but not telling me what.

Bris 10:53 28 Jan 2018

Had exactly the same problem. Seems to be related to the latest cumulative update. I had been nagged for some time to upgrade the firmware on my SSD & keyboard but on the principle of "if it aint broke dont fix it" I ignored the requests. When I got this problem I decided to upgrade as requested and the problem is now resolved, unfortunately as I did both upgrades at the same time I am unable to determine which one was responsible.

On the evidence the problem seems to revolve around USB, try removing all USB devices especially those with "intelligence" such as a wireless keyboard/mouse, plug in a bog standard wired keyboard and mouse, do a restore, and see if that helps.

fourret 13:04 30 Jan 2018

Thanks everyone but I think the time has come for a new PC.

Govan1x 16:24 30 Jan 2018

fourret

Still trying to connect my new SSD but no luck so far. I was hoping you would have came back with a fix by now, I cant find one. My problem is it will not work on the notebook or the Desktop. I have an old hard drive that works on both so it has me stumped.

fourret 16:32 30 Jan 2018

G'day. My problem gets stranger by the day. It is a different USB port that is not showing up from day to day. Sorry I can't help

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

42 Tips for How to Make Digital Artworks That Look Hand-made

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2018)