Windows 10 - Package can not be registered

belayer 17:27 19 Feb 2018

My wife's PC with Windows 10 has just developed a problem. She is unable to open any of the images (photos) from any of the albums on her PC, instead she gets the error message 'Package can not be registered'. I have visited the MS Windows 10 help site and it seems thousands of others have experienced this, but Microsoft seem unable to help. is there a fix?

rdave13 18:20 19 Feb 2018

Have you tried resetting the Photos app? Settings - Apps - Apps and features - scroll down to Photos, select advanced options - then scroll down to reset. I would then close all and reboot.

beeuuem~2 22:56 19 Feb 2018

Have you run system file checker to ensure there are no corrupted files ?

belayer 11:23 20 Feb 2018

I have tried resetting Apps as above.

I suspect I have now also uninstalled Photos by accident as when I click on a jpeg file it opens in Paint! The Photos app doesn't now even appear in the list of apps.

I have no idea how to get Photos to work again or re-install it.

Any suggestions?

rdave13 15:02 20 Feb 2018

Go to Store and type Microsoft Photos in the search box.

belayer 19:18 20 Feb 2018

I have completely re-installed the latest Windows 10, there is no Photos app in it. Is there any way of getting it to show pictures on a full screen (like it used to) when I double click on a file in the file manager?

That is all I am asking for.

belayer 19:19 20 Feb 2018

clicking on Microsoft Store does nothing, absolutely nothing happens, nothing changes on screen, it goes nowhere.

belayer 19:21 20 Feb 2018

As the problem is now slightly different I will start a new thread.

wee eddie 19:25 20 Feb 2018

Right click on a .jpg and select either "Photo Gallery" or "Photos". Both have, somewhat limited editing choices. If you want more choice download "IrfanView"

belayer 19:44 20 Feb 2018

wee eddie, I can't, it doesn't give those options, it asks if I want to view it in Word, Paint or Paint 3D. No other options. There is no Gallery nor Photos. I I choose to 'select another app online' it tells me that microsoft store is not installed, contact my vendor. AAAAARGGHH!

rdave13 20:07 20 Feb 2018

Reboot the computer.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Festival de Cannes 2018 ?