Windows 10 only boots in safe mode

Jem123 08:40 23 Apr 2017

My PC won't load windows 10 in normal mode. It returns the screen giving me the options to run advanced options.

I have tried a repair and it failed. I have a attempted a system restore (only 1 restore point found) and failed. I have found booting in safe mode with networking works so I downloaded malware bytes to scan my machine. Many threats found and quarrantined but still did not fix my problem!

I have no disk to install windows 10. I have tried to download a windows repair whilst in safe mode but it fails due to being in safe mode!

I don't know what else to try, please help.

Govan1x 10:02 23 Apr 2017

Have you tried running in normal mode since you ran Malwarebytes.

Govan1x 10:08 23 Apr 2017

Have a look in device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks.

Try running cmd as administrator and type in sfc /scannow and see if that finds and fixes any problems.

Or maybe run chkdsk but I would wait and see if anyone can give you the proper way to run it.

Jem123 10:16 23 Apr 2017

Already tried running normally after malwarebytes but still no good. Also previously tried sfc/scannow.

Just looked at device manager, showing yellow exclamation for my monitor. Clicked for more details 'status not available for this device when windows is running in safe mode'.

Jem123 10:24 23 Apr 2017

I've realised that I didn't thank you for your reply. I do appreciate your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:35 23 Apr 2017

Settings - Update and security - Recovery - Reset

back up your data in your users folder first. or use the option to retain your data

Jem123 10:36 23 Apr 2017

Fruit bat - thanks for your reply, already tried this but didn't work :(

Jem123 11:29 23 Apr 2017

Update: I am attempting a clean install of win 10 from a usb. I rebooted from usb and it gave me multiple options of partitions to install to. I chose partion 4 witch was the largest windows install hoping it would install over the top of the existing. Message indicated windows old files would be placed in a folder named windows old.

After the installation was downloaded it restarted and asked me which operating system to load. Two choices both win 10 on partition 4. Really confused now, i chose the first one listed but it appears to be hanging now on 'getting ready'.

Jem123 11:31 23 Apr 2017

Question is, should I wait or interrupt the process and restart the PC selecting the 2nd win 10 operating system listed?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:40 23 Apr 2017

Wait it takes ages!

Jem123 14:00 23 Apr 2017

Good call! I think I'm all fixed now.

Thanks for your support :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

50 Cent is Iron Man in these comic book cover reissues of hip hop classics

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?