Windows 10 only boots in safe mode

Jem123 08:40 23 Apr 2017

My PC won't load windows 10 in normal mode. It returns the screen giving me the options to run advanced options.

I have tried a repair and it failed. I have a attempted a system restore (only 1 restore point found) and failed. I have found booting in safe mode with networking works so I downloaded malware bytes to scan my machine. Many threats found and quarrantined but still did not fix my problem!

I have no disk to install windows 10. I have tried to download a windows repair whilst in safe mode but it fails due to being in safe mode!

I don't know what else to try, please help.

Govan1x 10:02 23 Apr 2017

Have you tried running in normal mode since you ran Malwarebytes.

Govan1x 10:08 23 Apr 2017

Have a look in device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks.

Try running cmd as administrator and type in sfc /scannow and see if that finds and fixes any problems.

Or maybe run chkdsk but I would wait and see if anyone can give you the proper way to run it.

Jem123 10:16 23 Apr 2017

Already tried running normally after malwarebytes but still no good. Also previously tried sfc/scannow.

Just looked at device manager, showing yellow exclamation for my monitor. Clicked for more details 'status not available for this device when windows is running in safe mode'.

Jem123 10:24 23 Apr 2017

I've realised that I didn't thank you for your reply. I do appreciate your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:35 23 Apr 2017

Settings - Update and security - Recovery - Reset

back up your data in your users folder first. or use the option to retain your data

Jem123 10:36 23 Apr 2017

Fruit bat - thanks for your reply, already tried this but didn't work :(

Jem123 11:29 23 Apr 2017

Update: I am attempting a clean install of win 10 from a usb. I rebooted from usb and it gave me multiple options of partitions to install to. I chose partion 4 witch was the largest windows install hoping it would install over the top of the existing. Message indicated windows old files would be placed in a folder named windows old.

After the installation was downloaded it restarted and asked me which operating system to load. Two choices both win 10 on partition 4. Really confused now, i chose the first one listed but it appears to be hanging now on 'getting ready'.

Jem123 11:31 23 Apr 2017

Question is, should I wait or interrupt the process and restart the PC selecting the 2nd win 10 operating system listed?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:40 23 Apr 2017

Wait it takes ages!

Jem123 14:00 23 Apr 2017

Good call! I think I'm all fixed now.

Thanks for your support :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Honor xSport AM61