Windows 10. No bootable device. No usual fixes wrk

GavoGarmo 21:53 15 Apr 2017

I have a PC that had two HDD. My main with Windows 10 installed which was running fine. The second HDD had an old install of Ubuntu on it. Casually yesterday I booted up the second drive just to see if ubuntu had any new features in the last few years. Once Ubuntu had updated I could no longer boot my Windows HDD properly. I got a message saying "No bootable device".

I physically removed the Ubuntu HDD from the case, but, ubuntu still persisted to show in the BIOS boot selection list. I'm not 100% sure but I think this is the problem.

I have run the windows repair procedure several times but to no effect. I have run bootrec /bootfix from the cmd line that runs in the repair environment as well as /bootmbr. A method I got from YouTube.

I also physically flashed the CMOS on the motherboard with the jumpers in the hope the board would "forget" the ubuntu UEFI, but it was still there.

I've done a fresh install of Windows 10 in a third drive I had laying around, hoping I could resolve the problem with a working OS then swap back later. The fresh install ran about 10% speed for some reason.

Any help at all would be very welcome. I've tried almost every method I can find on the web after a full day of searching but nothing works.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:54 16 Apr 2017

Do you have win 10 boot media? if not download and make a USB or DVD boot disc.

Boot from the media and run a startup repair to overwrite the bootmgr.exe.mui files in the system reserved partition.

Archonar 13:44 16 Apr 2017

When you boot up do you get to the GRUB bootloader screen? It is automatically installed when you install linux as far as I am aware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus