Windows 10 Installation Stops Working after 5 mins

Alan Swannack 14:11 08 Jul 2019

Hi. Bit the bullet and installed retail copy of Windows 10 home updating W7. Installation seemed to work but after 5 mins all mouse commands have no effect. Can’t shutdown except by switching pc off. Tried clean boot but still an issue. Tried Safeboot to check video and audio drivers but no updates offered. Any help appreciated I’ve basically busted my working machine by upgrading! Thanks.

grumpy old man 15:52 08 Jul 2019

did you buy 10 from a local shop and do you have a laptop , if answer to both questions are yes then put on your lost puppy dog expression and go ask the shop to show you what they think you could be doing wrong.

lotvic 19:15 08 Jul 2019

Installation seemed to work but after 5 mins all mouse commands have no effect

Is the keyboard also not responding? How long did you wait? PC could be busy downloading all the W10 updates.

Alan Swannack 16:36 09 Jul 2019

Well I let in run for 4 hours but no change so turned off at power switch. I uninstalled the av earlier but then it got stuck restarting so had to power off again.

lotvic 19:46 09 Jul 2019

I suggest you try without an internet connection. Unplug the Ethernet cable and boot up.

I uninstalled the av earlier but then it got stuck restarting

What happened, how did it get 'stuck'?

Was/is your Windows 7 home a Retail version? Where did you get the W10 retail Upgrade from?

You also have the option of going back to your W7, see microsoft.com click here

Alan Swannack 20:29 09 Jul 2019

Thanks I will try that tomorrow. Both Windows versions were full retail.

grumpy old man 21:43 09 Jul 2019

Hello Alan , lotvic could be right about updates , before I got pc's with windows 10 i rebooted a 7 to never used state , their were so many updates that I left the machine on overnight. You have to remember 10 was released in July 2015 so with regards to updates you have got a lot of catching up to do.

Alan Swannack 17:51 10 Jul 2019

Thanks. I will try and let it run longer and see if it’s an updating issue.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Is it safe to use NordVPN?

Hell or Habito? Why a mortgage startup branded itself through some sick animation

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleurs écrans pour PC (2019)