windows 10 how do you want t open this app

awest3 15:20 18 Dec 2015
Answered

I use IE11 as my web browser and prefer it to other options. But every time I try to open a website link from within an email or within another website I get asked 'how do you want to open this' and get 3 options 1) continue to use this program (IE11) 2) Microsoft edge 3) another app from the store. plus a box which says always use this option (IE11) I just want it to use IE11 so how do I turn this annoying feature off please?

Forum Editor 15:52 18 Dec 2015

Have you ticked both the 'continue to use' and 'always use' options?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:01 18 Dec 2015

start - settings - default apps - set IE11 as your default browser

awest3 17:14 18 Dec 2015

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

I only get an 'always use this app' option which I tick. perhaps its not setting this where it should... I don't know the regedit place to look for this setting.

I'd set IE 11 as the default web browser when I first installed win 10...and its still set at that...

awest3 17:30 18 Dec 2015

from what I can see, 'always use this app' should set it permanently to use ie11 but it doesn't.

awest3 18:02 18 Dec 2015
Answer

Hi, I think I've found the answer here

click here seems to be working for me...

I'll try it for a few days and then update this post.

it

[DELETED] 19:16 18 Dec 2015

This is an old nut I believe. In control panel setting IE11 to default under 'Set your default programs' is one step. If that fails then go to 'Set program access and computer defaults', make sure the button for Custom is dotted, and expand. Under choose a default browser dot the button for IE and click OK.

awest3 11:47 19 Dec 2015

thanks for this rdave13. I'd already tried those suggestions prior to posting ..to no avail. The registry fix seems to be doing the job though. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

2019's best up-and-coming illustrators

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment utiliser une manette PS4 ou Xbox One sur votre Mac ?