Hot Topics

Windows 10 home S mode problem

bromanz 19:16 19 Jan 2020

hello, friend has asus notepad with Windows 10 home S mode installed which prevents instals and downloads except from Windows Store.There is a 'switch out of S mode' "Get" option in Windows store which appears whenever you try to instal or download anything , but it doesnt work and neither do any internet workarounds weve tried. He has a Microsoft account and has installed the latest Windows Store update and Windows updates but to no avail. Any help appreciated

x13 23:01 19 Jan 2020

Have a look at this article, Link , note " In the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, select Go to the Store. (If you also see an "Upgrade your edition of Windows" section, be careful not to click the "Go to the Store" link that appears there.) " .

wee eddie 23:20 19 Jan 2020

Now, I'm not sure that I can understand what you have "actually" said.

However, I have always been under the impression that the "S" version of Windows was for Schools and particularly for Computers which were too underpowered to run a full version of Windows 10.

If it is such a Computer that you have, upgrading will only cause you grief

Govan1x 12:48 20 Jan 2020

Windows S.

This lets you know how to remove it if you don't want to use the S mode.

Click here

Govan1x 12:49 20 Jan 2020

Oops sorry bromanz. looks like you have already tried that.

mrgrumpy 14:11 20 Jan 2020

Hi bromaz as you have a Microsoft account log in and work your way around the support part and eventually you will see a box pop up bottom right to do online chat

bromanz 17:40 22 Jan 2020

Thanks govan1x & x13 but had already tried the msoft store link. Having now checked the spec of the notepad for friends wife in the light of wee eddie's advice it is 53gb memory with only 28gb free, so I think advice right,so little memory is available that a switch to Home or Pro & loading lot of programs would be inadvisable.She will have to stay with S mode, only wants it for internet, letters & gmail anyway. Thanks for feedback.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

You've watched Parasite, now read the storyboards in comic book form

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures lumières connectées (2020)