Windows 10 does not detect CD drive

Den 10:52 09 Mar 2019

My computer was running perfectly under windows 10 version 1803. Then it updated itself to 1809 and since that upgrade it does not recognise the CD drive. I rolled back to 1803 but now it still does not detect the CD drive. (It did before the 1809 upgrade) The sata cd drive is fine. It can boot up from CDs with no problems. It is only since windows 10 upgrade that the problems arises.

I have trolled the internet for a soluton and have already tried the following several times:

Solution 1. Show hidden (Unhide) CD/DVD Devices in Windows 10 Solution 2. Uninstall IDE ATA/ ATAPI Controllers Solution 3. Update or reinstall CD/DVD Driver Solution 4. Fix CD/DVD Drive Missing by Command Prompt Solution 5. Fix Corrupted Registry Entries Solution 6. Create a Registry Subkey

1. Checked Device Manager and shown hidden devices.

2. ATA Ch.0 or 1 doesn't exist under IDE/ATAPI, so nothing to delete there. Similarly no Upper or Lower filters to delete in registry key: HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

There are no virtual drive software to remove. BIOS/UEFI dettings are fine and drive recognised there, so booting from CD drive no problem.

1. From a Command prompt (admin) run this registry key (reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001)

2. Edited the registry to add the key Controller0 with DWORD (32-bit) EnumDevice1 and set its value to 1, to 'HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi'.

Oddly enough on one rare occasion the Cd drive showed up as drive F and I used it ot erase an RW DVD successfully. But the next start up it was not detected again or since. Oh yes, I even did a clean install of win 10 but still no joy. Very frustrating. Thanks for any help.

Den

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:09 09 Mar 2019

Desktop?

try checking / changing the stat cable / power cable for the CD drive.

Den 11:00 10 Mar 2019

Thanks. Yes, desktop. And already tried swapping sata connections and even a new cd drive. Works with everything other than windows 10 1809 update. A roll back to 1803 did not help even though it worked fine before!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 10 Mar 2019

Sounds like you have probably done all these

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41 Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. (This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)

click here XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect. This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista and Windows 7. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Similar fixes click here works for W7 Vista or XP click here manual fix Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Download or

Den 13:07 10 Mar 2019

Hi Guys,

Thanks. But you will see from my original post I do not have Upper and Lower filters.

Bris 18:40 10 Mar 2019

In your original post you implied that you have two CD drives, one SATA connected and one IDE connected and that its the IDE drive that is not seen. It could be a driver issue as W10 support for IDE drives is likely to be a bit flakey.

Try the two solutions here.

Den 08:39 11 Mar 2019

Hi Bris

Thanks for replying. No, I only have one sata dvd drive. Not sure where I implied I had an ide as well. The IDE ATA/ ATAPI Controllers mentioned is what showsup in Device manager. I think it is to do with the motherboard drivers.

Regards

Den

Den 09:50 11 Mar 2019

Hi to All

Have done an in-place repair to windows 10 but no success. It did create another windows.old folder but at least kept all my programmes and data. Cd drive now not only being not detected but not even showing in Device Manager (Show hidden devices is ticked). Now created a dual boot system with Linux Ubuntu and, Linux recognises the drive no problem. And Windows still doesn't detect it! Very frustrating. Hoping someone will come up with a solution.

Thanks for your time and help. Regards Den

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 11 Mar 2019

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers. they are in the windows\system32\drivers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:- DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

Den 11:56 11 Mar 2019

Hi Fruit Bat

Did all the steps you suggested in turn. Rebooted and still nothing. If I boot into Linux (Having today created a dual boot system) the CD drive is detected in that OS and works as normal. Boot back into windows and ...nothing! I shall have to live with it until the next major update screws everything else up! :-(

Thanks for your help.

Den

john bunyan 12:34 11 Mar 2019

I have the latest W 10 updates and have 2 x CD /DVD drives in desktop. Both showing OK in My Computer. Let me know if you want me to look at any settings etc.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi A3 Review: Hands-on

Wacom Cintiq 22: a bigger budget pen display arrives from Wacom

The best Mac antivirus of 2019

Quel est le meilleur Mac pour un ├ętudiant ?