Windows 10 Desktop Freezing upon Right-Click

Dilly Jay 13:32 29 Apr 2017
Answered

The problem started a day ago, I tried running a game of mine (which I run regularly worry-free) but this time it booted on my Second Monitor in 600x400. I tried quitting to change my resolution but the game just froze on the foreground so when I booted task manager it was stuck behind it. I moved the window to the correct monitor via shortcuts band tried to close the games .exe but the window just wouldn't close. I restarted my PC and all was well, except that my second monitor was still in 600x400 so I right clicked on my desktop to access Intel Display Settings and the entire desktop froze. The taskbar and any windows explorer windows would continue to operate without a problem but on the desktop it was stuck on the loading cursor and clicking on anything on it did nothing. I restarted windows explorer, which set it back to normal but right clicking would always freeze the desktop, but clicking on files when not frozen worked even right clicking a desktop file wouldn't freeze it, but only the desktop itself. I thought it to be a weird glitch so I shut down my PC as it was getting late, and went to bed. This morning I woke up and the problem is still happening no matter how many times I restart. I tried a running a scan in PowerShell, which some people suggested but it came up blank and didn't fix my issue and all other people I've found appear to be encountering a different problem entirely. Some people said they had to reinstall windows but that's not an option for me as my PC came pre-built with it's operating system already installed.

Thanks for reading.

Forum Editor 17:25 29 Apr 2017

Moved to Windows Help from Tech Helproom.

bumpkin 20:33 29 Apr 2017

My win10 frequently freezes for no apparent reason. I have asked here and other places. Never had an answer that worked including a re-install. As many others don't have this I can only assume that it is hardware related.

Dilly Jay 16:56 30 Apr 2017
Answer

After searching for a fix for multiple hours I gave up and continued using my PC. Today I woke up and checked for updates and surely enough there was a new version. Upon installing I noticed the error was no longer occurring. Have no idea why.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs