Is Windows 10 becoming bloated?

wee eddie 17:33 02 May 2018

Many of the questions we have here are symptomatic of such a conclusion

mrcalif 18:09 02 May 2018

Nope.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:13 02 May 2018

Yes but you can remove apps you don't use.

Aitchbee 22:48 02 May 2018

you can remove apps you don't use.

These apps re-appear at every major update wether you want them or not; there is a limit to how much one can tolerate such a tyrannical operating system.

It's certainly not user-friendly unless you are a computer expert who can be bothered to delete all the nonsense that nobody uses.

mrcalif 04:21 03 May 2018

These apps re-appear at every major update wether you want them or not; there is a limit to how much one can tolerate such a tyrannical operating system.

Can you give an example? Having just updated. The apps I removed did not re-appear.

Forum Editor 11:01 03 May 2018

I don't think so.

It's worth remembering that most of us paid nothing for Windows 10, and we are getting new iterations free as well. There are bound to be bells and whistles that individual users will find superfluous to requirements, but it has always been like this.

In the main, I think we have a decent, stable operating system that runs on over half a billion computers worldwide. There was a blip in Windows 10's progress in March, when the Windows userbase share dropped off by 0.8 of one percent, but that is likely to be a temporary situation - MacOs also showed a drop - slightly more at one full percent.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:19 04 May 2018

There was a blip in Windows 10's progress in March, when the Windows userbase share dropped off by 0.8 of one percent, but that is likely to be a temporary situation - MacOs also showed a drop - slightly more at one full percent.

So what did these people move to? or are they just using their phones or tablets?

Forum Editor 17:47 04 May 2018

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

It doesn't necessarily mean that anyone moved from Windows 10 to another platform - all it takes is a drop in the sale of new Windows machines and iPads to make the figures jump around. It's almost certainly a passing thing.

wee eddie 19:22 04 May 2018

I have just opened my copy of a Computer Magazine that is published every 2 weeks. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but I noted that there is an article about Microsoft bringing our a "slimmed down" version of Windows 10!

AroundAgain 19:58 04 May 2018

wee eddie

I've read that MS are working on a 'Lite' version, due out towards the end of this year.

Should be good for the devices that have very small hard drives, ie 16/32 Gb

wee eddie 20:02 04 May 2018

Should be good for those who don't want all the unnecessary bells and whistles

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Gamescom 2018: Announcements, livestreams and exhibitors

Coca-Cola goes into the red with a brand new redesign

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

Comment réinitialiser un iPhone ?