Windows 10 back to Windows 7

Sapins 15:13 07 Aug 2015

I have had enough of 10 and at this moment I am reverting to 7, reverting is the only thing that is doing what it is supposed to do. I may try again when the bugs are ironed out.

onthelimit1 11:44 09 Aug 2015

Don't think you could sell the COA key as it's already been used?

Govan1x 12:06 09 Aug 2015

Spuds you have 1 year to make up your mind wheter you want W10 or not.

Govan1x 12:21 09 Aug 2015

robin_x

Thanks for all of your advice. Bought the Computer from Asda and it said it had W/7 on it but there was a free upgrade to W/8. Unfortunately it already had W8 installed and it is only within the last 2 days that I noticed that it said W/7 on the factory restore. Still got the repair DVD for it if needed. Just a matter of getting W10 saved in case I need it will probably try your click here to get that.

Anyone with an oldish laptop or computer might rethink about using W10 as you get constant windows programs running all the time in Taskmanager using up the CPU and disk space. got an old laptop with W10 on it and it struggles. If you run your security programs as well usually the CPU and disk are running at full. Ok for doing small jobs though. Mind you it would probably struggle on XP as well.

I will of course look around to see what windows programs that I can disable. Think Windows Updates may be the first to go.

Bazzaman 15:27 09 Aug 2015

Will making a system image to revert to work once you've upgraded from 7 or 8 to 10?

I do wonder if MS have set things up so that once you do the free upgrade to 10 the licence for 7 or 8 is suspended and so the only way to reactivate the licence is to downgrade (rather than restore an old image).

Does anyone know if there is any mileage in what I've outlined?

bumpkin 15:49 09 Aug 2015

Bazzaman, "clone" the disk with something like Marcrium, then whatever happens you can just clone it back to how it was.

robin_x 16:10 09 Aug 2015

*"Will making a system image to revert to work once you've upgraded from 7 or 8 to 10? I do wonder if MS have set things up so that once you do the free upgrade to 10 the licence for 7 or 8 is suspended and so the only way to reactivate the licence is to downgrade (rather than restore an old image). Does anyone know if there is any mileage in what I've outlined?"*

It's a good point, and I don't know for sure.

Re-entering the License Key should re-activate as the current OS and perhaps use one of the Re-arm counts.

A phone call to the MS telephone number should sort it if Re-arm=0

It will take some months before it becomes obvious if large numbers are getting caught out. I'm sure it will be OK.

There is no harm in making a System Image anyway.

pk46 17:07 09 Aug 2015

I find Windows 10 a snoopers charter, so for a second download I chose a manual download and turned every thing off, I have W10 the way I want it. Microsoft don't give up on sticking apps down your throat and useless Bing got rid of that as well. I must admit I still prefer W8.1.

Bazzaman 17:29 09 Aug 2015

With regard to the licencing issue I referred to above. I can envisage a situation (with an image taken before the upgrade) whereby a person has both a Win7/8 disk and a Win10 disk installed in the machine and wanting to be able to selectively boot from either.

I can't see Microsoft being happy with this (as the user is only entitled to one licence) and so I wonder if they will suspend the old licence (in their database using the user's machine ID as a key) at the time of the upgrade (and I assume that even volume licensed installs [e.g. OEM] phone home to Microsoft and register the machine ID on their servers). Then if a downgrade is done the process is reversed. If this is the case, the restore old image path wan't work, although as robin_x says, there may be work arounds (if Microsoft is prepared to play ball).

Govan1x 18:23 09 Aug 2015

Did not get on with W8 on my old computer nso reverted back to W/7 without any problems. Mind you I still had the W/7 DVD and the kecode for it.

I would imagine if you are upgrading you should be taking your old keycode with you. Will find out shortly.

Had a lookand according to Winaso My W10 keycode has changed and is not the same as my W8 keycode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Bon Plan Fnac : -35 % sur le PC Ultra-Portable Acer Swift 7 SF714-52T