Windows 10 automatic repair not working

Penny101 13:44 02 Oct 2015

I did the upgrade to Windows 10 on Tuesday and it seemed to go well. I used my laptop on Wednesday no problem, and yesterday morning. However, after lunch when I tried to log in, it said my password was incorrect. I tried a few times, but no good. After that some more updates arrived, and since then I can't even get to the password screen. All I get is automatic repair (doesn't work) and then further list of choices which don't work either. The only only option I might be able to use is the cmd, but I don't know what to do there! I don't have the CD for Windows 7. Can anyone help?

Govan1x 15:08 02 Oct 2015

Type rstrui.exe into cmd and that should start system restore. Restore it to when it was working. or try typing sfc /scannow into cmd and see if that fixes any problems.

Penny101 14:34 06 Oct 2015

Thank you for your suggestions, but I'm afraid neither of them worked for me - apparently there was no 'Restore Point', and I wasn't able to create one. Another suggestion was F12, but that didn't work either. In the end I took it to the repair shop, who have several people in every day with the same / similar problem. It seems the problems occur when you update to Windows 10 from the icon on the computer - it's ok for a few days or a week, then new updates arrive and crash it. The better way to do it is to use separate Windows 10 Installation Media. hope this might help someone else! Thanks anyway :)

hssutton 15:30 06 Oct 2015

I had exactly the same problem after update 10547. One or two minor problems then nothing, even my W10 disk repair facility did not work. Not a major problem for me as everything is duplicated in W7, apart from the hassle of reinstalling W10 and getting it up to date

Duanedarnell 11:15 07 Oct 2015

I am also facing the same problem but the suggested replies are not helping please suggest some more, as i am not able to resolve this issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

Grad Shows 2019: The Best New Illustration and Graphic Design Talent from Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15in (2019) review

iMac Pro 2019 : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique