Windows 10 automatic repair not working

Penny101 13:44 02 Oct 2015

I did the upgrade to Windows 10 on Tuesday and it seemed to go well. I used my laptop on Wednesday no problem, and yesterday morning. However, after lunch when I tried to log in, it said my password was incorrect. I tried a few times, but no good. After that some more updates arrived, and since then I can't even get to the password screen. All I get is automatic repair (doesn't work) and then further list of choices which don't work either. The only only option I might be able to use is the cmd, but I don't know what to do there! I don't have the CD for Windows 7. Can anyone help?

Govan1x 15:08 02 Oct 2015

Type rstrui.exe into cmd and that should start system restore. Restore it to when it was working. or try typing sfc /scannow into cmd and see if that fixes any problems.

Penny101 14:34 06 Oct 2015

Thank you for your suggestions, but I'm afraid neither of them worked for me - apparently there was no 'Restore Point', and I wasn't able to create one. Another suggestion was F12, but that didn't work either. In the end I took it to the repair shop, who have several people in every day with the same / similar problem. It seems the problems occur when you update to Windows 10 from the icon on the computer - it's ok for a few days or a week, then new updates arrive and crash it. The better way to do it is to use separate Windows 10 Installation Media. hope this might help someone else! Thanks anyway :)

hssutton 15:30 06 Oct 2015

I had exactly the same problem after update 10547. One or two minor problems then nothing, even my W10 disk repair facility did not work. Not a major problem for me as everything is duplicated in W7, apart from the hassle of reinstalling W10 and getting it up to date

Duanedarnell 11:15 07 Oct 2015

I am also facing the same problem but the suggested replies are not helping please suggest some more, as i am not able to resolve this issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

MacBook Air 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)