Windows 10 april update not working

norman1312 20:45 15 May 2018

I wanted to test out the W10 April update before putting it onto my main machine, and it seems I was justified in doing so. I used my Lenovo ideapad 320 that was up to date with 1709 and let the update run. Eventually, it seemed to finish and on logging in I got an error box "Location is not available - C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable". Clicking OK resulted in a black desktop on which NOTHING would work. I could get a Run window up but couldn't get anything to run. I could not get the Start menu to work, so the only option was to turn off the machine. After about four reboots I suddenly got the normal desktop but after a couple of minutes suddenly go that error box again. I gave up for the evening and when I tried this morning I got the expected desktop. BUT, things are still not right. The Start button still doesn't work. Using File Explorer to find certain programs, but practically nothing would run. I cannot access the Internet as while I can click on the network icon, 'Troubleshoot problems' works but 'Open Network Internet settings' does not. Suggestions as to what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Aitchbee 21:14 15 May 2018

Some other Lenovo users on the forums are having similar problems.

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs