Windows 10 & is there a new windows after 10 ?

Giggle n' Bits 13:36 18 Oct 2019

Hello Everyone I am going to build a new Desktop for myself with Windows 10. I googled windows 10 end of life and as far as I can make out Windows 10 end support in 2023 So what I would like to know is please what is going to replace windows 10 ?

wee eddie 17:33 18 Oct 2019

You're not quite right but, not really wrong either. Microsoft will support Windows 10 Version 1903 until 2023. However there will be a new version of Windows 10, coming along shortly.

Initially, they said that they would produce 2 new Versions of Windows 10, each year. I gather that the plan has changed slightly, and it will be 1 version each year.

According to Microsoft, Windows 10 is the ultimate version and will be revamped on an annual basis.

Most of us are somewhat sceptical about that but, you should be safe for the next 3, or so, years

Giggle n' Bits 19:01 18 Oct 2019

Thank You wee eddie ! I am concerned that if I build my new 10 Desktop, I don't want to fall into the trap that if a new windows 10 would make my hardware incompatible and I may have to fork out £100's to comply with the newer release of windows 10 I take it other computer uses will be in the same boat? Thanks

wee eddie 19:48 18 Oct 2019

The current version of Windows 10 is compatible with almost everything made in the last 10 years. That is unlikely to change.

Unless you plan on using Legacy Components, you should be OK long before the expected Lifecycle of anything you build using todays components in over

Giggle n' Bits 22:48 18 Oct 2019

Thanks wee eddie Will start working on my new pc build choosing the components. Cheers

mrgrumpy 23:03 18 Oct 2019

A certain computer mag that I will not name has shown screen shots of something called 10x , but ,as you pointed out that's 4 years away.

just for the record I don't believe anything Microsoft says about op systems, example , a system called longhorn was reported to be in development and it was so overdue they changed the name to vista in the hope that a lot of people had never heard of the word longhorn. I have used every op sys Microsoft has made and vista is the worse one they ever made.

Jollyjohn 10:33 19 Oct 2019

Surely WMe (Millenium edition) was the worst, I don't think I managed to ever getting running for more than 10 minutes before it Blue Screened!

mrgrumpy 11:40 19 Oct 2019

Hi John , Their were lots of stories about WMe , their use to be jokes about the phrase "Microsoft works" , people used to say it was an oxymoron. An oxymoron is a word that is the opposite what it means so obviously Microsoft didn't work, its like my wife's cousins who have always called me BIG K.

I am NOT 6 foot tall I am a short arse.

when I got my first windows 7 I asked the salesman what is the difference between vista and 7. He said 7 was vista with all the rubbish removed. I know what he meant because their were so many logs for different things that if you looked at them all you could actually convince yourself you had a problem when if fact everything was running ok.

wee eddie 11:48 19 Oct 2019

GOM, I got nicknamed "wee eddie" because I was a mere 6' 3"

Flat Earther 17:01 19 Oct 2019

"a system called longhorn was reported to be in development and it was so overdue they changed the name to vista"

Every version of Windows had a codename during development, just like XP was called Whistler, Vista was Longhorn.

mrgrumpy 18:01 19 Oct 2019

Hi flat earther i did not know that , i thought longhorn was changed to vista because it was years overdue and they were hoping people would forget or never heard the longhorn tag

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Motorola Razr (2019) : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique