is windows 10 always so slow

klimba23 13:40 06 Dec 2016
Answered

I got really fed up of my windows 7 laptop last week.It was so slow: taking 20 to 30 seconds to open chrome and refusing to open subsequent browsers after this.So I toddled down to Currys Pc World to look at a new model.Id tried all the tweaks I could find online and was only using microsoft Services but still it was virtually unusable,I decided to find the fastst one and buy it as long as it didnt break the bank.I have to say I was thoroughly unimpressed.I tried all the 8gb ram models and the time to open the browser was 6 or 7 seconds .The time to open aikipedia site was about 7 seconds and the nasa site about 14.The best I got was on a 16gb ram windows pc which took 7secs but at £999 this didn't strike me as good value. I know speed is dependent on the processor maybe more than the ram but the machines I was trying were i5 or i7 so you'd expect them to be like lightning. wouldn't you? Theyve just missed out on a bundle of my money because i did a factory reset on my windows 7 and it is whizzing along.Chrome now opens before I can count to 3 and firefox just a little slower and opening links about the count of 4 not perfect but better than any new machine I could find?Can anybody explain this to me?

lotvic 13:47 06 Dec 2016

After the factory reset, the programs don't have as much 'clutter' to load.

Bazzaman 14:21 06 Dec 2016
Answer

My non-decluttered (since install in July 2013) Win 7 PC (i3-3240, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD) takes about 2 seconds to open Chrome.

Although I don't bloat the PC with loads of unnecessary software and I do use Ccleaner.

wee eddie 14:44 06 Dec 2016

"I know speed is dependent on the processor maybe more than the ram but the machines I was trying were i5 or i7 so you'd expect them to be like lightning."

This is true, but is only half the story.

What really slows your laptop down is Clutter. Install CCleaner and run it > Run its Registry Cleaner > Reduce the number of programs opening on Start-up > Delete the Software that you don't need any longer > Once again, run CCleaner and then its Registry Cleaner > Finally do another audit of the software you have opening on Start-up > Finally, run Malwarebytes.

Probably no need to replace your Lappy

klimba23 15:39 06 Dec 2016

I did run ccleaner and malwarebytes but nothing improved. I inte d to add very little software this time round and check the performance if i do but it seems ridiculous that even new machines are so sluggish.

Secret-Squirrel 16:30 06 Dec 2016

I tried all the 8gb ram models and the time to open the browser was 6 or 7 seconds .

Was that the time to open the browser or for it open the browser and load the homepage? If it's the latter then the disappointing Internet performance you witnessed on all models could have due due to the store's poor WiFi connection.

is windows 10 always so slow

Windows 10 computers are just as fast as any other for general tasks.

Forum Editor 18:20 06 Dec 2016

"I know speed is dependent on the processor maybe more than the ram"

Computer performance is a classic case of the whole being the sum of the parts. No single component is entirely responsible for speed, and the other contributors have highlighted the probable causes of your existing machine's problems with browsers.

Testing the way a computer handles the internet in a store isn't really going to give you a viable result, for the reason mentioned by Secret-Squirrel. At any one time there could be quite a few people trying the same thing, and that's going to put you in contention for the bandwidth.

Bazzaman 09:23 07 Dec 2016

To add to my earlier post re my timings, I've just rebooted, let the PC settle down for several mins (so that all the delayed auto start services have done their thing. First time into Chrome (by the way I have a blank home page) took about 6 secs. Thereafter (after having closed Chrome down) back to 2 secs. The initial 6 secs is entirely understandable as subsequent starts benefit from various elements already residing in memory from the initial start.

For my part I've toyed with putting an SSD in to speed up loads, but never got round to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?