Hot Topics

Windows 10 1909 update fails to complete

tallboy 15:49 04 Dec 2019

I have just installed the latest Windows update on our 64-bit Dell Inspiron desktop. According to the system info, the PC is now 1909 Build 18.363.476 although the date of installation is given as 24/06/19 (before this update was released!) rather than today's date of 04/12/19.

Whilst the PC appears to run OK, when you open up settings the Windows Update window is blank & non-responsive (all the other settings function appear to work) and there are orange dots by the Power Off functions which say to Update & Shutdown or Update & Restart. I have tried both, but when the PC restarts the dots are still there. I have also tried running the Update Trouble Shoooter to fix the problem, but that get stuck on 'Checking for Pending Restart'.

Hopefully someone will know how to fix this annoying problem which will obviously block further updates from being loaded on the PC. (As the Windows Update window is non-responsive.)

tallboy 19:28 10 Dec 2019

Yes, I know! Right now none of the Settings windows display anything! (i.e. Blank blue settings window). Not sure what has caused that; everything else seems to work. Any ideas for a fix? I'll do a few searches, but if I don't find an answer in an hour or so, I'll go back to the Windows image I made this morning before the updates roll in.

wee eddie 19:36 10 Dec 2019

Tallboy, you're full of contradictions.

"I don't go searching for updates; I just wait until it is my PC's 'turn' to be updated. I run an update search on the Wednesday or Thursday after each 'patch Tuesday'"

tallboy 19:57 10 Dec 2019

Wee eddie: I'm referring to security patches - not major updates - which, more often than not, have bugs when they are first released.

wee eddie 23:29 10 Dec 2019

tallboy: You're cooking your own goose.

Relax, they'll come when your PC is selected. No wonder you have problems

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Will 5G kill you?

Becoming an In-House Illustrator: advice from those who've made it

iPhone SE 2 release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs VPN pour Amazon Fire TV Stick (2020)