Hot Topics

Window 10 BSOD or no boot device found

megsdad 10:09 07 Feb 2020

Bought s/h Lenovo 320. Supplied with win10 home, UEFI boot and GPT volume. Fast boot enabled in power options. Would fail from time to time with above. Critical fix for BIOS listed so updated, all drivers etc up to date. Could not restore point using recovery console as OS not found anywhere. Had to use command line method. Have since done clean install with Win10 Pro, only now with legacy boot and standard drive layout The damn machine still does it sometimes when fast boot enabled, I have to install Win10 installation disk and use repair console, however it will not find a restore point as no OS found. Have to use command line bootrec /ScanOs and RebuildBcd, this then finds the version of Win10 and asks if you want this one Y/N, type Y and away we go again. All appears to be okay with fast boot turned off, but takes such a long time relatively to boot up. Beginning to regret buying the Lenovo as my old Dell E6410 is very happy with Win10 and handles updates okay. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. I know from various sources that Win10 does create some issues with BSOD but is driving me mad !

howard64 12:51 07 Feb 2020

this sounds like one I was asked to repair and I replaced the hard disk with an ssd. Booted very quickly and problem not appeared since.

megsdad 13:36 07 Feb 2020

Thanks Howard, may have to go down that route perhaps. It's fitted with OEM WD drive but it does leave you wondering.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:03 07 Feb 2020

From Command Prompt Log into Windows 10. Press the Windows key to open the Start Menu. Select Search. Type-in cmd.

Right-click on Command Prompt from the search results list.

Click Run as administrator.

When Command Prompt launches, type the command: chkdsk C: /f /r /x.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Will 5G kill you?

Becoming an In-House Illustrator: advice from those who've made it

iPhone SE 2 release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs VPN pour Amazon Fire TV Stick (2020)