Win 10 updates failing to install

[email protected] 12:59 25 Nov 2015
Answered

I keep getting this message when checking for updates There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800705b4) However checking Update history,the last update to fail was the Nov 12th update on 13th Nov. I subsequently got that to install, but it mucked up the finished version. Luckily it allowed me to return to the original installation. That error code seems to apply to a lot of failures, but as the updte history isn't telling what failed, I'm at a loss as to where to proceed. Any clues or a starting point, please? Oh and Keep it simple please! :-)

Govan1x 15:42 25 Nov 2015
Answer

Try Control panel.Troubleshooting fix problems with windows updates.

Govan1x 15:54 25 Nov 2015

I used to get that problem all of the time.

I Tried stopping windows updates from running in Services and disabled it. But to get it to stop running I had to go to Safe mode without networking.

Then after a reboot I would go back to Services Enable Windows Update again and start it running. I also went Firewall while in there and made sure W/Firewall was switched on even though I had my own firewall switched on.

Between the two I now have my updates back and running again and all updates installed including the new OP system 1511. Noticed with that is that Windows updates is now set to Manual.

I still have Windows firewall switched on and I have had no further problems with updates but I am only talking about a week. But that is 100 times better than it was.

[email protected] 16:30 25 Nov 2015

Actually the answer was simple in the end changed the advanced option Choose how updates are installed from " Notify to schedule restarts" to "Automatic ( recommended)" ran check for update again and found new update for defender ready to install and it updated with no problem! However both the Control panel suggestion and Windows own tool (WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab) failed to find the problem. Thank you both for replying.

Govan1x 17:15 25 Nov 2015

Unfortunately who in their right mind would want Windows Defender. The first thing I do when I get a new computer is to disable it. I did read that maybe that was the problem but There was no way I was going to activate it.

Anyhow thanks for the reminder [email protected] it had slipped to the back of my mind.

Be interested to know if it stays like that for you as I have always had it set to Automatic.

[email protected] 21:27 25 Nov 2015

Never had any problems with Defender or its predecessor Windows Essentials

robin_x 21:46 25 Nov 2015

Both are 'fine', but make regular System Images to another HDD.

click here

robin_x 21:50 25 Nov 2015

Others prefer to pay or use one of the free AVs.

I don't bother any more. Defender and Windows Firewall is enough. +Malwarebytes ADW Cleaner, SAS, etc every now and again.

If I get hit seriously (not often), I just restore latest Image.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)