Hot Topics

Win 10 Pro System Restore malfunctions 0x081000203

tallboy 22:33 16 Dec 2019

Whilst removing a number of programs (individually) on my Win 10 Pro system using Revo Uninstall, System Restore failed to work. (Having worked for the first 3 or so uninstalls). It reports that there is an unexpected error in the Property Page & that it encountered an error (0x81000203). Having gone through the suggestions given on the Apauls website (click here I have set the Microsoft Shadow Copy to Automatic & the appropriate Group Policy Editor to "Not Configured" but System Restore still fails to work. Any suggestions as to a fix would be appreciated. Thanks.

x13 08:26 17 Dec 2019

Not the same error but a comprehensive list of fixes for the temperamental Sys Restore. Link

Creating images of the system is more reliable I find and run with SR off - but each to their own.

tallboy 23:05 17 Dec 2019

Hi x13. Many thanks for the link. Your right about System Restore being temperamental! I certainly don't rely on it; it was just in this case I was using Revo Uninstall for several program removals and that program does a System Restore automatically unless you skip it.

I worked my way through the list of things to try in the article you suggested, but none fixed the problem. As I have been having some other problems with my Profile I decided to go back to an Image I made on 10/12/19 (which fixed the System Restore problem & a problem I was having with Kaspersky Total Security) and then create a new User Profile. All I have to do now is shift data to my new profile and as I keep most of it on non-C: drives, there's not a lot to move over.

I hope the link you suggest will help other readers who are having similar problems. It is certainly detailed.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor unveils special edition Magic Watch 2 with artists and designers

The story behind Royal Mail's new video game stamp set

iPhone SE 2 release date, price & specs rumours

iPad Air 2020 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs