Win 10: can't delete file from desktop

scampbll 02:20 20 Jun 2018
Answered

I'm on version 1803 of Windows 10. A couple of days ago I accidentally moved a file to the desktop, and all attempts to move it back or delete it have failed. I copied it back to where it needed to go, but the original is still stuck on the desktop.

It doesn't give me any error messages when I try to delete it, it just gets stuck. If I use File Explorer, it says "calculating" and never moves forward. If I use Command Prompt or PowerShell, they go to the next line but never give any output. I've tried booting in safe mode, I've tried dragging it to the Recycle Bin, I've tried using the context menu, I've tried using the delete key, all without success. It's an MP3 file, and it still plays fine so it is actually there. I have ownership of the file. I can add other files to the desktop and delete them.

I don't have a 3rd party anti-virus. I don't know if it's related, but it seems like Windows Explorer is also using more CPU than usual since this started. It hovers around 15-18%.

Any ideas at all? Thanks!

alanrwood 09:54 20 Jun 2018

Try it in safe mode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:40 20 Jun 2018
Answer

or use unlocker

scampbll 15:14 20 Jun 2018

I have tried it in safe mode. I would love to try unlocker, but when I go to download it I get a 404 message.

scampbll 15:21 20 Jun 2018

I tried iObit unlocker, and that seems to have done the trick

MJS WARLORD 10:55 24 Jun 2018

you say you got rid of the file with iobit locker , when you tried to delete that file did you get a message to say it was in use by something.

with regards to cpu usage , the top entries are the ones that are currently using your processing power , as you said the file was an mp3 do you have a music app set to run from boot up ( msconfig )

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 8 Review

Adobe confirms it’s working on a full Photoshop for the iPad

Apple announces new MacBook Pros for 2018

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?