Will it be worth the effort?

StephenCrossland 00:56 19 Sep 2014

I have a Win Xp setup. Freshly reinstalled and feeling happy. The motherboard is 4Core1600-GLAN and reads sata2. The plan is to clone the drive and replace it with a ssd drive. Any advice as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated. The speed of writing especially with HD video editing.

s.

[DELETED] 01:54 19 Sep 2014

Be aware that XP isn't SSD friendly. click here said click here state that their partition manager, free from click here has a 'Migrate OS to SSD or HDD.' option which claims that 'this function can help to move OS to SSD without reinstalling windows.'

That

[DELETED] 01:57 19 Sep 2014

That didn't appear as clearly as I thought it would !

Be aware that XP isn't SSD friendly. click here

That said click here state that their AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition partition manager - free from click here - has a 'Migrate OS to SSD or HDD.' option which claims that 'this function can help to move OS to SSD without reinstalling windows.'

[DELETED] 01:58 19 Sep 2014

I Give up !! I hope you can make some sense of the above.

wee eddie 04:02 19 Sep 2014

If I remember rightly an SSD needs special software to be managed. I doubt that this is available for XP or Vista. Both of which predate the technology.

StephenCrossland 15:59 19 Sep 2014

Thank you for the replies. The motherboard is Vista friendly but I have stuck with XP. I was hoping that write speeds up to 3GB/ps could be possible with sata2. Assuming backwards compatibility with a sata3 ssd but what do I know?

I shall have to look at it further before I spend any doshers.

Best Wishes, s.

[DELETED] 16:11 19 Sep 2014

This article click here,3469.htmladdresses your question. The answer appears to be that you will see a noticeable improvement. Whether it is worth the effort is another matter.

[DELETED] 16:12 19 Sep 2014

I'll get the hang of this one day !! click here,3469.html

[DELETED] 16:17 19 Sep 2014

Sorry - the link won't work. Final effort click here

bumpkin 16:34 19 Sep 2014

Not in my opinion, probably be problems with XP.

StephenCrossland 16:57 19 Sep 2014

Thank you again everyone. My question now must take a change of direction. If I were to clone a ssd drive with my current XP setup and then find I couldn't get the PC to boot. Oh joy BSOD. How I love your absence...

Would I be able to re-format the SSD drive. Wipe it clean and into a more upto date pc, sata3 et al?

Are there any restrictions?

The first pc I bought second-hand in 1990. 40MB disk drive. MSDOS 5.25in disk. It's all changed. s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

TV & Streaming : comment regarder Roland Garros ?