Why is the internet so slow on my laptop?

Gobbling_Monkey 10:36 17 Apr 2016

Hello. I have had this ongoing problem with my laptop where the internet is very slow on it. I pay for 30 mbps speed. Every device in my house including my desktop, which is on the opposite side of the house from the router get 36 Mbps speed. However, my laptop only gets around 10 Mbps. My laptop is located less than 10 feet away from the router. Websites load slow, and any game I try to play has really bad ping. I am unable to play any game on my laptop due to low ping. No other device has slow internet. I have an TP-link Archer C9 router. Using the 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz makes no difference. It is a HP ENVY 17t-j100 Quad edition on windows 10. Here is what I have tried.

• Scanned for viruses. I have none.
  • Upgraded and replaced my wireless adapter.
  • Downloaded a program to detect how much bandwidth programs are using. No program was using an excessive amount.
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers from the manufacturer website.
  • Allowed windows to install drivers.
  • Used ethernet. Still the same speed.

I do not know what else I can try. It feels as if I have tried everything. This problems is really annoying me. Is there anything else I can try? I would really appreciate any help.

Svol 17:15 20 Apr 2016

In your original post you say that you had tried Ethernet and still had the slow speed problem. Did you have the Wireless Adapter disabled during the Ethernet connection test? If not, try the Ethernet test again with the Wireless Adapter disabled:- i.e.

Right-click the Wireless status icon located in the Task Bar,

select 'Open Network & Sharing Center',

Select 'Change adapter settings',

Right-click your Wireless Connection Icon,

click 'Disable'

Also, what is the make / model number of the replacement Wireless Network card?

As an alternative to internal Network hardware adapters you could consider purchasing a cheap external USB Wireless adapter, for example:-

USB 300Mps Wireless Adapter - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

The year's best animated short Hair Love is finally online

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Cdiscount : la PS4 Pro 1 To + 5 jeux à moins de 400 €