Why is the internet so slow on my laptop?

Gobbling_Monkey 10:36 17 Apr 2016

Hello. I have had this ongoing problem with my laptop where the internet is very slow on it. I pay for 30 mbps speed. Every device in my house including my desktop, which is on the opposite side of the house from the router get 36 Mbps speed. However, my laptop only gets around 10 Mbps. My laptop is located less than 10 feet away from the router. Websites load slow, and any game I try to play has really bad ping. I am unable to play any game on my laptop due to low ping. No other device has slow internet. I have an TP-link Archer C9 router. Using the 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz makes no difference. It is a HP ENVY 17t-j100 Quad edition on windows 10. Here is what I have tried.

• Scanned for viruses. I have none.
  • Upgraded and replaced my wireless adapter.
  • Downloaded a program to detect how much bandwidth programs are using. No program was using an excessive amount.
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers from the manufacturer website.
  • Allowed windows to install drivers.
  • Used ethernet. Still the same speed.

I do not know what else I can try. It feels as if I have tried everything. This problems is really annoying me. Is there anything else I can try? I would really appreciate any help.

Svol 10:56 17 Apr 2016

Try an initial test by Startup up in Safe Mode with Networking and check if the speed is any better at that point.

You can access Safe Mode with Networking via:-

How to access Win 10 Safe Mode with Networking - click here

Gobbling_Monkey 11:34 17 Apr 2016

Try an initial test by Startup up in Safe Mode with Networking and check if the speed is any better at that point. You can access Safe Mode with Networking via:- How to access Win 10 Safe Mode with Networking -Svol

Hello. And thank you for your reply. As you told me, I went into safe mode with networking. The speed was definitely better. It was just as good as my other devices. I also tested it with Ubuntu, which I have installed on a flash drive. In both cases, the speed was better. What does this mean? Could it be a undetectable virus or failure to figure out if a program is hogging my bandwidth? Should I do a reinstall of Windows?

Svol 12:25 17 Apr 2016

Ok. If you create another Win 10 User Logon account and test the speed logged in with that new account is the speed any better?

Gobbling_Monkey 21:21 17 Apr 2016

Ok. If you create another Win 10 User Logon account and test the speed logged in with that new account is the speed any better? ~Svol~

I made an account, and the internet speed was still bad. I was getting 7 mbps, while it should be getting 36 mbps. If this detail is helpful, a lot of my installed programs were there on the new account.

Svol 22:06 17 Apr 2016

OK, you could try a Win 10 Reset process which will re-install Win 10 and allow you the option to retain your personal data files as per:-

Windows Start Icon>Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>Reset this PC>Get Started

Hopefully that will remove any inconsistencies / conflicts with installed programs / drivers.

Svol 22:08 17 Apr 2016

Re-post of reset instructions:-

"Windows Start Icon>Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>Reset this PC>Get Started"

Gobbling_Monkey 23:11 17 Apr 2016

Re-post of reset instructions:- "Windows Start Icon>Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>Reset this PC>Get Started" ~Svol~

Hello. I tried resetting, but it says, "Could not find recovery environment". I never used any media to install Windows 10. The laptop came with Windows 8, and I used the free upgrade. It could also be since I installed an SSD, and the recovery partition is still on the HDD? Should I make a Windows install flash drive?

Svol 00:17 18 Apr 2016

You can perform a Win 10 Reset from a Win Installation DVD or USB media which you can create via the Windows 10 Media Creation tool available from:-

Win 10 Media Creation Tool - click here

Reset instructions also available from:-

Win 10 Recovery Info

See the 'Resetting your PC' section.

Gobbling_Monkey 04:18 20 Apr 2016

Thank you for your reply. I have successfully reinstalled Windows. However, it did not fix the problem. The internet speed is still slow. What else could I possibly do? I did a complete wipe.

wee eddie 10:47 20 Apr 2016

I assume that the Laptop has an Ethernet port. Have you tried it directly connected to the Router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The new Xbox is called the Xbox Series X

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Amazon : plein de r├ęductions sur des produits Logitech G