Why has Sleep option gone in latest Windows-10?

IanS1 13:49 05 Aug 2019

OK, since I got zero response to my last problem/request, let me try a simpler question -

• why has all trace of any Sleep option disappeared from my laptop (Acer Swift running Chrome on Windows-10)?

Until the last Windows Update which installed just last week (took a whole hour!), I always just finished each session by closing the lid of my laptop … and then next time when I wanted to use the laptop, I just opened the lid and all my last session was displayed and ready to use just where I left off. Great!

But now, since last weeks mammoth update, none of that works any more. Instead shutting the lid, and then opening it again, just shows a black screen with no power … I have to press the power button to do a hard power-up, and then I get a new blank Chrome screen with all my previous windows and stuff gone.

Why has that happened?

Also, a search of the whole computer, user files, user control panel settings, all power settings and “power plans” , shows no mention of any possible “Sleep” setting anywhere … so why has the Sleep option suddenly disappeared???

Anyone got any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 05 Aug 2019

If your system is using the generic display driver, (windows updates hve a tendency to rplace the original driver), the Sleep option might disappear from the Power Options menu.

You may need to download and install latest display driver from the manufacturers website.

IanS1 20:05 05 Aug 2019

OK, thanks that suggestion. Unfortunately, that's just one of about a dozen things that have been disabled or screwed-up by that latest Windows update. So on that basis I may need to update all drivers for anything on the laptop, and probably repair all sorts of other software corruption, brilliant huh! Laptop is an Acer Swift 3 with 8Gb Ram Intel Core-i7, and 256GB SSD by the way (so it should not be to weakly spec'd to take the update).

This is definitely the last machine I ever buy with Windows or anything to do with Microsoft.

Ian.

footnote - even the above was almost impossible to type, because the update has totally wrecked the functioning of the keyboard too. Thanks Micrsoft ... if Icould sue you then I would!

IanS1 20:10 05 Aug 2019

OK, thanks for that suggestion. Sounds sensible (and I thought that may be the case, ie after a Google search for others experiencing similar update problems).

Unfortunately, that's just one of about a dozen things that have been disabled or screwed-up by that latest Windows update. So on that basis I may need to update all drivers for anything on the laptop, and probably repair all sorts of other software corruption, brilliant huh! Laptop is an Acer Swift 3 with 8Gb Ram Intel Core-i7, and 256GB SSD by the way (so it should not be too weakly spec'd to take the update).

This is definitely the last machine I ever buy with Windows or anything to do with Microsoft.

Ian.

footnote - even the above was almost impossible to type, because the update has totally wrecked the functioning of the keyboard too. Thanks Micrsoft ... if I could sue you then I would!

grumpy old man 10:35 06 Aug 2019

with regards to keyboard , open word and type @ with the relavent shift key , if you get something different go to language and region settings.

You may find the update has reverted you back usa English , just redownload the uk English pack and also check the web surfing section on this page. A quick way to check search settings is to go on web and go to amazon , not via a short cut , if prices are shown in $ then go back to language and region settings.

once you have changed settings do a restart for all software to recognise language pack settings have changed.

Personally I never use sleep if I plan on using a pc later on in the day , tests have proved that a pc running in sleep mode uses as much power as a pc sat doing nothing , in sleep mode running processes are kept ticking over ( using power ) ready for when you need them again.

IanS1 11:29 11 Aug 2019

Hi … thanks for those suggestions (I appreciate all help and any/all responses). Re. The keyboard problems – I'm not using Word (I'm using Open Office Apache), but it's not a language-setting problem … what happens is that (since that Windows update), typing any text either in Apache or in Gmail, the cursor keeps jumping back into earlier parts of what you have just typed, so that as you continue typing you are then typing all over the earlier lines that you had typed! … and that just ruins whatever you are trying to type.

Another error which now occurs is that the screen keeps changing from 100% size, to 150% or 250%, or to 50% or 10%. That's something that I encountered several years ago with Windows-10, but it had not happened for at least the last 2 years … but since that update it suddenly happens 20 times a day!

Searching the net I find many other people complain that this last update has messed up all sorts of functioning on their computers, but there seems to be no solution to any of it, and zero interest or concern from Microsoft.

Re. the Sleep issue – I don't care if the setting is called “sleep”, what I'm trying to do is get the laptop back to the way it worked before, where closing the lid just switched off the display, and then opening the lid again presents a login screen where typing your password instantly opens the display as you had left it, ie with all of your last session of windows open, so you can immediately carry on from where you had left off …

… but what happens now, since that update is that you close the lid, and then later in the day you open the lid to turn the machine back on, but no power returns … instead you have to press/hold the power button to reboot the thing, that takes time checking various things, and then you are asked to log in, and at the end of all that you have to open a new Google/Chrome window and all the stuff from your last session has disappeared (I can get it all back, by re-loading everything, but of course that's a huge inefficient waste of time).

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Witcher 3 (Switch) Preview

Classic posters from Cuba's Golden Age celebrate cinema and revolution

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Comment télécharger des films et séries Amazon Prime Video ?