Why can't I downlaod WIndows download upgrade

xania 17:45 26 Apr 2016
Answered

My laptop is running Windows 7 SP1 and I have downloaded all the updates. However, when I try to start the Windows 10 upgrade process, my system tells me that it is not ready and to click to register to be advised when it becomes available. (My wife has exactly the same laptop and software and has no such problem). How can I get round this problem, please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:49 26 Apr 2016

Install from bootable media using media creation tool to make a DVD or USB

click here

xania 14:42 27 Apr 2016

Thanks Fruit Bat.

xania 13:07 01 May 2016
Answer

It seems that this solution didn't work after all so far as a straightforward upgrade is concerned. Managed to get the ISO, that was not what I wanted - I was looking to do a direct download and update. When I tried to run form the web site, it still told me that I needed to register for the upgrade. So got on to Microsoft web site and started an on-line chat. They took over my computer and changed a registry key from 0 to 1 (unfortunately, didn't make a note of which key they changed). This made no difference to the original problem but seems to have allow the web site to get round the issue and start the actual download which is now preparing to upgrade as I am typing this on my desktop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:40 01 May 2016

The key is

[HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade] It should exist, but if not, create it.

Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 1

xania 23:12 01 May 2016

Yes that's it. Even then, you need to go through the route of creating an ISO then before it starts chose to install rather than to create the ISO. They do have some funny ways!!

Govan1x 12:16 02 May 2016

[They do have some funny ways!!] Wait till you download it and you will see some more.

xania 13:04 02 May 2016

Hmmm! It all went extremely well after that. Had to delete a few programs that HP had on the laptop, but that apart, nothing. All seems to work well, except I can't use Edge because I want to use my Norton Safe, but very pleasantly surprised to see all my desktop still the same, and does seem to load a little faster than before. No for the wife's laptop and my desktop!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Chromebook 15 (315) review

Classic posters from Cuba's Golden Age celebrate cinema and revolution

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Comment télécharger des films et séries Amazon Prime Video ?