Which windows is better in performance?

Behnam194 08:40 10 Jun 2017

Hello! I recently found an old computer with 1gb of ram and a slow processor, and I am looking for a windows to install on it. But I can't make up my mind. Should I install Windows 10, or are there any faster operating systems? Does anyone know which Windows is the fastest?

Secret-Squirrel 09:07 10 Jun 2017

.............found an old computer with 1gb of ram and a slow processor............which Windows is the fastest?

No currently-supported version of Windows will give you acceptable performance so don't waste your time and money on it.

alanrwood 10:16 10 Jun 2017

+1

No chance of it working. You might be able to install an old version of DOS and use it with ancient software if you can get it. Otherwise it is a "dead parrot"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:52 10 Jun 2017

or an old version of linux such as PC puppy linux would work

Old Deuteronomy 11:43 10 Jun 2017

If you can find a copy of Windows 98 you may be OK but, there will be no updates and you will be lucky to find any programs that will run under it.

qwbos 00:06 14 Jun 2017

XP will easily run on 1GB. Official updates ended in 2014 if I remember correctly unless you're a POS, so there are risks if you were intending connecting to the internet.

I've got a 15/16 year old PC that runs quite happily, albeit slowly, and with an old version of Avast that has current definitions. Most modern software will throw a wobbler - I had to ditch Malwarebytes - but current Spywareblaster and Superantispyware are ok.

Browser's another problem. I use an old version of Firefox.

I have Office XP Pro with 2007 compatibility pack, which works fine with Office 2013 which I have on my main PC.

It's a case of if you want some fun and your up for a challenge, have a go. If not, bin it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple