where has cmd (admin) prompt gone?

john bunyan 17:28 08 Feb 2018
Answered

I tried to run sfc /scannow. just found that to run in admin mode it seems to be in a different place (Windows 10, fully updated). Now in Windows Power Shell (admin) after pressing Windows key +x . Why do they not inform people, or have I missed it somewhere?

john bunyan 17:53 08 Feb 2018
Answer

Now I've found via Google how to pin it to the taskbar so will be easier in future. Cortana search also unearthed its location!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 08 Feb 2018

Start menu - windows system - command prompt

rdave13 08:48 09 Feb 2018

john bunyan If you want CMD back in the context menu list on the start button then settings - personalisation - taskbar and switch off 'Replace Command Prompt with Windows Powershell in the menu when I right click start button'.

john bunyan 09:13 09 Feb 2018

rdave 13

Thanks to you and FB. It just seems to have been under reported and the instructions in Google are out of date. I now have an icon in the task bar. What is the difference between Powershell and Command prompt, and why change it?

rdave13 10:14 09 Feb 2018

I'm not versed in CMD never mind PowerShell but the latter is a more powerful utility for configuring scripts.

john bunyan 11:18 09 Feb 2018

Almost takes me back to my (forgotten) use of DOS!

BRYNIT 12:45 09 Feb 2018

You can do anything in Powershell that you could do in Command Prompt. If you want to know more have about Powershell a read of CLICK HERE

john bunyan 13:45 09 Feb 2018

BRYNIT

Thanks; an interesting read . It seems to be a powerful tool that is for the “techies “ among us. I shall try to learn more without throwing a spanner in the works of my PC. Until now I have only used it and Cmd to scan the system for errors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy A9 review: Hands-on

Can the Huawei P20 Pro really replace a digital SLR?

Surface Laptop 2 vs MacBook Pro

Samsung Galaxy S9 vs Sony Xperia XZ3