where has cmd (admin) prompt gone?

john bunyan 17:28 08 Feb 2018
Answered

I tried to run sfc /scannow. just found that to run in admin mode it seems to be in a different place (Windows 10, fully updated). Now in Windows Power Shell (admin) after pressing Windows key +x . Why do they not inform people, or have I missed it somewhere?

john bunyan 17:53 08 Feb 2018
Answer

Now I've found via Google how to pin it to the taskbar so will be easier in future. Cortana search also unearthed its location!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 08 Feb 2018

Start menu - windows system - command prompt

[DELETED] 08:48 09 Feb 2018

john bunyan If you want CMD back in the context menu list on the start button then settings - personalisation - taskbar and switch off 'Replace Command Prompt with Windows Powershell in the menu when I right click start button'.

john bunyan 09:13 09 Feb 2018

rdave 13

Thanks to you and FB. It just seems to have been under reported and the instructions in Google are out of date. I now have an icon in the task bar. What is the difference between Powershell and Command prompt, and why change it?

[DELETED] 10:14 09 Feb 2018

I'm not versed in CMD never mind PowerShell but the latter is a more powerful utility for configuring scripts.

john bunyan 11:18 09 Feb 2018

Almost takes me back to my (forgotten) use of DOS!

BRYNIT 12:45 09 Feb 2018

You can do anything in Powershell that you could do in Command Prompt. If you want to know more have about Powershell a read of CLICK HERE

john bunyan 13:45 09 Feb 2018

BRYNIT

Thanks; an interesting read . It seems to be a powerful tool that is for the “techies “ among us. I shall try to learn more without throwing a spanner in the works of my PC. Until now I have only used it and Cmd to scan the system for errors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

Freelance Wars' has given us a year of hilarious, oh-too-true GIFs about nightmare clients and…

Apple Maps vs Google Maps

Amazon Prime : Prix et avantages