Where are emails backed up?

DPB 15:24 31 Jan 2018

Backed up old PC (using W 10) just before it failed. I used Control Panel Backup and Restore (Windows 7). I was using Window Live Mail 2012. This is now installed on replacement machine and I want to upload emails from backup to the replacement machine. I can access the backup device and use Explorer and Windows Backup/Restore Files to get to "Backup of C:\users(username)\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail(user email address)\" - but there is nothing there. Where can I find the actual emails? I can't use a full Image/system restore because I am using a different PC. Any ideas? Ting. Thanks for considering. David

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:23 31 Jan 2018

Windows 7, that path where emails stored is probably C:\Users\yourlogon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail, where yourlogon is the name you use to log onto Windowson the old PC

Secret-Squirrel 09:04 01 Feb 2018

C:\users(username)\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail(user email address)

That is the default location for your messages so I'm not sure why that folder appears empty. Here are a few things to try:

1) Perhaps they've been hidden so set the folder option to "Show hidden files and folders" then try to access that folder again.

2) Go to the root of the Windows Live Mail folder and do a search for EML files. You may find they're in a different location.

3) Import the old message store into Windows Live Mail and the missing emails may be revealed.

wiganken2 14:37 04 Feb 2018

You may be looking in the wrong place. Try looking in "C:\users(username)\Appdata\Roaming\Windows Live Mail(user email address)\Profiles". I do not use Windows Live Mail but this is where the emails are stored for Thunderbird and I have taken a guess as to the pathway naming for WLM. Here one can see the emails but you cannot read them. This can only be done from within Thunderbird and Thunderbird must reference the profile name which is something like abcde1fg.default. It may be that WLM stores email in same location or similar. You may see your emails there but how you get to read them is another matter. This may be a long shot but worth a look maybe?

beeuuem~2 23:33 04 Feb 2018

Is it possible to search the backup for .eml files ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)