Went from usb 3 problem to Windows 10 not booting

Tom Yanowitz 14:20 03 Jan 2017

Hi everyone,

Sorry if the text is long, I tried to present my problem as precisely as possible.

I had some Usb 3 devices (hard drives and flash drives) that I knew work, but weren't recognized specifically on the usb 3 ports of my own desktop computer. They weren't even appearing nameless in the Disk management. I did have a small error sign in the Device Manager at the USB Superspeed line : "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

Tom Yanowitz 14:24 03 Jan 2017

So I found this as a potential solution :

Which leads to modifying the registry

so I went on and deleted the upper and lowerfilters from the registry for the "hard drive" value as suggested.

But a bigger problem appeared when I tried to restart the computer to see if that had done the trick.

"Inaccessible boot device" appeared when trying to boot Windows 10. I can only access that blue windows boot manager or the BIOS (or Windows from a key).

Here's where I'm at : - The Automatic Repair / Startup repair option doesn't work ("startup repair couldn't repair your PC") - Can't access any special boot mode like the Safe mode as it's advised on the web - I figured it my be that Windows tries to boot on the wrong disk, but when I manually select my usual C drive to boot it says "Reboot and select proper boot device" - I don't have a System Restore option, nor a System Image Recovery - I tried messing with the chkdsk command in the command prompt but wasn't successful The command prompt tells me I'm on an X: drive, not the C: - I tried to reinstall windows without loosing data ( ) by creating a bootable key, but when I boot from that key and try to install windows without loosing data ("Upgrade : Install Windows and keep files, settings and applications"), it tells me, quite logically : "The computer started the Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade." But starting Windows normally is not a thing I'm able to do.

I don't want to loose my files nor my installed apps, I have too much of them.

Deleting the upper and lowerfilters seem to small of a change to require me to reinstall Windows AND all my apps (the "Reset and keep my files" option, which I seem to have as my last resort). Do you have any suggestions ? I'm running out of ideas

Thanks a lot guys !

Tom Yanowitz 14:27 03 Jan 2017

Damn I can't post a long topic (which is why it's in two parts), can't post links in it (three links are missing which makes the text hard to understand), and can't edit them once posted.

Forum Editor 16:08 03 Jan 2017

"Which leads to modifying the registry"

Did you backup the registry before you modified it?

"I don't want to loose my files nor my installed apps, I have too much of them."

I take it you have not backed up your files?

"I can only access that blue windows boot manager"

Have you tired selecting "Last Known Good Configuration" (instead of Safe Mode) from the advanced startup options?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 03 Jan 2017

There are upper and lower filters for more than one device i.e. USb and DVD drives seems you deleted the wrong ones.

Do you have an SSD with the op system on and a hard drive or just a hard drive with windows on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?