W7 firewall any good

iqs 13:27 16 Mar 2010

Just wondering if the W7 firewall is any good,if not,can you recommend a W7 compatible firewall please.
Thank you

User-1229748 19:01 16 Mar 2010

i've been using it for about 5 months with its default settings and havn't had any problems.also have a router firewall it has to be said :o)

chub_tor 19:02 16 Mar 2010

Independent review click here

john bunyan 22:12 16 Mar 2010

Following advice on these forums I am using PC Tools (Free) and I believe the advantage is it stops outgoing and incoming attempts whereas W7 only stops incoming. I used to have Comodo on XP, but found it a bit too intrusive. So far (3 months) so good with PCTools.

Pine Man 08:17 17 Mar 2010

'W7 only stops incoming'

The Vista firewall was built on a new Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) and added the ability to filter outbound traffic via the Advanced Security MMC snap-in. With Windows 7, Microsoft has tweaked the firewall further and made it much more useable, especially on mobile computers, by adding support for multiple active firewall policies.

john bunyan 08:29 17 Mar 2010

Thanks for that. I thought I had read in these forums a different story, so am grateful to you.

iqs 17:17 17 Mar 2010

Many thanks for the help all.
Will have a go with the W7 firewall,will see how I get along with it.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Explore Milton Glaser's iconic poster designs from the 1960s to present, including Bob Dylan, I…

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts