W10 Shut Down and Restart

Dwight D. Topolinsky 15:27 04 Mar 2019

Hello. I am having this NEW problem on my laptop, Operating with W10: Twice now it has stopped me during my work, said there was some sort of error and it needed to shut down, send an error report to Microsoft (??) and restart...???. It did restart as promised, but I'd like to know what this is about and HOW I can stop this from interrupting my work..?? It's very intrusive and annoying. (After having this laptop for over a year, it's the first times this has happened. The laptop is Acer) Thank you

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:18 08 Mar 2019

We need to know the error before we can advise further.

Dwight D. Topolinsky 16:41 08 Mar 2019

If Iknew that I wouldn't need this forum. There is NO error code, it simply shuts down. It just asked if you would like to send an error (??) to MS.

lotvic 19:15 08 Mar 2019

On your desktop taskbar, rightclick on the Windows logo (4 squares) Open 'Event Viewer', click on 'Windows logs', select 'Application', click on 'Level' at top to sort the types so that the critical ones are at the top. Have a look for an error or critical log that's occurred when you got the shutdown. Click on it, to see the description in the General section window below.

Do the same for 'Windows logs', 'System'.

Dwight D. Topolinsky 22:01 08 Mar 2019

Here is what I found as per your instructions:

"EVENT 41 - KERNEL-POWER"

Firstly, there were 7 separate critical events spanning the last 4 months. Each one says the exact same thing (as follow): "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly"

Power would not have been the issue as it was on the battery which was operating at 100% capacity (the charger is hooked up at all times)

I have NO idea what this is about...???

Dwight D. Topolinsky 22:07 08 Mar 2019

BTW...when I look as you suggested, under the Windows Log System, General, I see several errors saying the following: svchost (7876,G,98) The beta feature EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled in ESENT due to the beta site mode settings 0x800000.

KEITH 1955 23:29 08 Mar 2019

if you think or know the pc is working ok just ignore so called error reports as I get told the edge is not responding loads of times per day …. joke ….. it works ok

lotvic 01:49 09 Mar 2019

KEITH 1955, not really very helpful as Dwight wouldn't have started the thread if his pc is working ok... best wait for FB to get back.

Dwight D. Topolinsky 04:06 09 Mar 2019

It does seem the laptop is working ok, esp since it happened 5 days ago and nothing since, just very odd. I have had a few probs with this damn Acer (like I needed a NEW hard drive after a year of very light usage) Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.

softae 20:34 16 Mar 2019

Hello

Try to scan your Windows PC with a good Antivirus, if this doesn't work then try to use System restore to the previous date where your PC was in good state.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:15 16 Mar 2019

"EVENT 41 - KERNEL-POWER" just tells you it shut down unexpectedly - one of MS usless notifications.

Was it on mains or battery power when it shutdown?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?