VISTA LOADING DESKTOP

staatsvista 18:34 20 Jul 2007

vista destop loading

I recently bought a hp with vist ultimate on it and it worked normal for about 2 weeks. Noe when i turn it on it props me to put in my password for my user account( like normal) after it says welcom it just goes to a black screen and never loads any of the desktop item. I have to hit control -alt-delete and open the task manager and after a little bit it loads the desktop. Can anyone explain this? and if so how do fix it, its really anoying to have to do this every time i turn it on!

BurrWalnut 20:23 20 Jul 2007

Firstly check that explorer is starting up:-

Go to Start, Run, type regedit and press Enter. In the left pane navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

In the right pane, make sure there is a REG_SZ named Shell and it has a value of "explorer.exe" (no quotation marks). If it’s not there create it.

To be prudent create a system restore point before making any changes to the registry.

staatsvista 23:10 20 Jul 2007

how do i create a restore point? i appologize for sounding retarded but i am finding it hard using vista after 5 years of xp

Head hurts 05:50 21 Jul 2007

go to start button and type restore it will bring up the option to select it. vista has search boxes which are quite helpful and a lot of the programmes can be found by just typing part of the name. click system restore and it will give you the option to create a restore point under i think system protection at bottom of page.

vikkicollins 17:24 17 Jan 2008

I'm having the same problem on my hp machine, though I'm running Vista Premium which has run sluggishly since purchase a few weeks ago until BSOD today - unfortunately BurrWalnut's suggestion has made no difference.

No disk came with the computer and when I queried (Comet) I was informed that this was HP policy - is this correct?

- they said that that all necessary files in the event of a total crash could be accessed from Drive D (Recovery).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?