Vista Defragmnentation

ol blueeyes 12:42 17 Oct 2008

Have just installed Vista after using XP . In Xp I could see how badly my Disc was Fragmented and could decide whether or not I wished to Defragment at the time or not. But in Vista I am just told that it might take minutes or Hours. Or is there somewhere I can see the state of the Disc ?

mooly 12:53 17 Oct 2008

I don't like Vistas defragmenter that runs by default daily. It causes incremental backups to be huge !!
I would turn it off so it does not run automatically, and when you want to defrag or see how things are doing (say every month or so ) use Vistas own derfragger from a command prompt. This will give you a detailed verbose readout of whats what.
To do this click the start orb and right click on "command prompt". Select run as administrator. type exactly, defrag c: -a-v and that will take a couple of minutes to generate a report. Type defrag c: -v-w to defragment all file sizes on the c volume.

sunny staines 13:26 17 Oct 2008

I use click here on my vista.

peter99co 16:09 17 Oct 2008

If you set it to run to a scheduled time and leave it to run at that time daily. It will eventually run for a very short time. If you run anything the defrag waits until you stop and then continues. The idea is that after a while the drive will clear most of the time.

mazuk 14:25 18 Feb 2009

The best defrag tool i have found to date is Auslogics disk defragmenter which has a free version and works well with vista...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?