Vista Codec Package

sunny staines 16:12 14 Jun 2008

anyone used this before can post feedback.

click here

i find a lot of dvd's that play in xp do not in vista.

rdave13 16:50 14 Jun 2008

I use the K-Lite from file hippo with no problems. Sorry don't know about your package.

sunny staines 16:53 14 Jun 2008

whats the best way to instal k-lite i had problems when i tried to use it a whileback.

rdave13 17:55 14 Jun 2008

If you had problems with it then might be better to leave alone. I just downloded it and ran with setting at default.
The problem I had was that WMP 11 decided to not show videos. It would run OK in the preview mode but not if full mode. K-Lite fixed it.

ened 16:00 15 Jun 2008

It is worth trying again because it allows WMP to play all files.

Try it from click here

Seventh one down (Full).

Like rdave13 I downloaded it, it installed itself automatically in the right place and there have been no apparent side effects.

sunny staines 20:24 15 Jun 2008

ened & rdave13

thanks for the info i will try again, last time i had xp and it did not go very well.

sunny staines 12:00 16 Jun 2008

thanks to the advice by ened & rdave had another go at install of k-lite.

install went ok on vista, and tested playback on a few bits all ok.

only question during install there were loads of codec tick boxes to opt for, apart from changing default to media player I left the boxes alone. Should I have ticked the lot?

ened 13:11 16 Jun 2008

I really can't remember what I did.

I have Vista Ultimate and K-Lite has an entry in All Programs so if you have any problems or want to change something I assume you can do it from there.

I have never used that because, as I said before, I installed it and forgot about it.

Thinking about it I would think you probably want to tick all the boxes because WMP will then play anything you ask it to.

Since installing I have been able to play everything!

ened 13:13 16 Jun 2008

By the way did you have any problems with the download site I linked?

On another thread someone told me Macafee had identified the page as a potential problem.

sunny staines 15:25 16 Jun 2008

ened

i had the warning but download went ok.

when playing back [music from riped cds] in media player if i surf using IE7 I get distortion of music while page opens.

not sure what that is cannot find it in klite help.

rdave13 15:43 16 Jun 2008

When I downloaded the codec pack I ticked nothing. Under 'tools' in K-Lite in all programs- GSpotv2.70a shows 238 codecs loaded. (Whatever that means!)As ened I downloaded and forgot it. Downloaded from here; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts