Very slow Boot up in Windows 10

RISC OS user 17:24 23 Dec 2015
Answered

I have upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1, and I am quite pleased, but why does it take one minute 28 seconds before I am asked to enter my PIN this happens every time not just at the first boot up after upgrade.The time is taken up with a black or perhaps a very dark blue screen. Has anyone else had the same problem, this is not the first time I have upgraded to 10 and had reverted to 8.1 for various reason including slow boot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:30 23 Dec 2015

Control Panel > Power Options > Shutdown settings > tick Turn on Fast Startup

RISC OS user 22:17 23 Dec 2015

Thank you for your reply, however, I do not have Shutdown settings > tick "Turn on Fast Startup" The nearest I can get is Power Option !, any ideas?

RISC OS user 22:23 23 Dec 2015

I read something about Hibernation, and found it once in Control Panel but now I cannot find it again! Also something about reducing the size of the amount of RAM used in Hibernation and that will enable Fast Start-up. I am confused, why can't it work just like 8.1 and just boot quickly, I never had this trouble with it?

[DELETED] 22:34 23 Dec 2015

Usually hibernate is disabled by running CMD as admin and the command powercfg -h off . Now you won't get the Fast-start option to tick. It means that you can still use sleep, shutdown will be faster, a matter of seconds, and nothing is saved for a fast boot. Ie.,a proper shutdown. If you enable hiberfil.sys, CMD and the command powercfg -h on then Fast boot will be enabled. This means that a shutdown is not a true shutdown as hiberfil.sys will store your info in its folder ready for a quick boot. So long as the PC has power to it.

Secret-Squirrel 08:41 24 Dec 2015

..........however, I do not have Shutdown settings > tick "Turn on Fast Startup"

When you get to Control Panel -> Power Options, you need to click the little "Choose what the power buttons do" link top-left then scroll down to "Shutdown Settings". That's where you can enable Hibernate too. If you need to change any settings and they're greyed out then click the "Change settings that are currently unavailable" link.

If that doesn't help then I can give you some tips on finding the boot-performance logs which may identify what's causing the slow startup.

RISC OS user 15:47 24 Dec 2015

Hi Secret-squirrel, thank you for you post. I have sent you the link below to show how my PC is set up, it looks to me as if fast boot up is set to on, but it is still taking 1 minute 28 seconds from switch on before displaying the screen where one inputs the PIN after which all is fast, if it was not for the current problem I would rate Windows 10 as excellent. If you can supply me with more information to overcome the problems I would be most grateful. The upgrade was not a complete clean upgrade. click here

Secret-Squirrel 17:41 24 Dec 2015

..........it looks to me as if fast boot up is set to on...

That looks fine to me too.

If you can supply me with more information to overcome the problems ............

Rather than type instructions for you, I found this link which will may help. Hopefully you'll find the name of something that's significantly affecting the boot performance every time you startup.

If you can't find anything then you may have to consider using Hibernate, or even better, Sleep when you've finished using your PC.

[DELETED] 18:32 24 Dec 2015

Secret-Squirrel , hibernate is already on according to RISC OS user 's link.

[DELETED] 18:37 24 Dec 2015

Just to finish my post, hiberfil.sys is running but the option to use is not showing. I prefer sleep as I'm running without hiberfil.sys.

RISC OS user 18:33 25 Dec 2015

Hi Secret-Squirrel, The following images might show the reason for my slow boot problem, however, I have no idea what to do with them, do you think I am correct and if so what is the next step? The times recorded against the dates do not appear correct as the last boot-up was at approx 17.00 hours! I hope you had a good Christmas. click here

hrefperformanceb.jpg performancec.jpg

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf