Various desktop shortcuts are missing(windows 8.1)

niccster10 01:07 17 Feb 2019
Answered

I was uninstalling some old programs that I didn't use a while ago. Right when I was about to click onto another program to uninstall it, suddenly a whole bunch of desktop icons went missing throughout my desktop(but only on my right monitor as far as I can see). Not only are my programs not showing up but they are missing from the desktop folder altogether. I have turned off hidden files in windows and run a virus scan. After spending a while on google i still have no idea what happened.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:45 17 Feb 2019

Right click an empty area of the desktop and select Refresh

do the icons reappear?

niccster10 18:33 17 Feb 2019

Yes i have tried refreshing

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:54 17 Feb 2019

Power - Restart (not shut down)

do they appear after a restart?

niccster10 05:28 18 Feb 2019

No, they don't. I have tried all of the very obvious things. I have restarted my computer multiple times, I have refreshed, I have restarted windows explorer, I have loaded up desktop layout backups from desktopOK, I turned off hidden files, i have turned on and off auto arrange icons.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 18 Feb 2019

I take it you can run the programs from their own folders and its just the shortcuts that are missing.

niccster10 22:01 18 Feb 2019

Yes, it is just the shortcuts that are missing as far as I know.

KEITH 1955 22:23 18 Feb 2019

why not just go to your list of programs and drag out the short cuts again

niccster10 23:48 18 Feb 2019

Because I happen to not KNOW what I am even missing in the first place. If a random and completely mixed set of shortcuts disappear from the 117 that i have then i am definitely not going to be able to tell all of which ones disappeared, let alone list all the programs

KEITH 1955 08:39 19 Feb 2019

If you got 117 short cuts i would have thought it quicker to type what ypu want into search box , must be quicker than searching your desktop , anyways , when you sort it out do what i do , i take print screen print outs of all my desktop and folder layouts so if something goes missing i can quickly work out what gone walkabout.

wee eddie 08:45 19 Feb 2019

I admit to only having 7 Shortcuts on my Desktop.

About 20 years ago, while searching my desktop for a program I'd downloaded about a month previously, I said, "Stuff this for a lark" and picked it off Windows Alpha/numeric list, which took me milliseconds.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Inside the redesign of the world's largest computer games platform, Steam

Apple TV Plus streaming service launch, release date and price

Apple TV+ : date de sortie, prix et catalogue