Using a laptop as monitor

Larry Douglas 22:27 13 Jul 2018

I'm trying to use my old Windows 8 laptop as a second monitor for my windows 10 computer. I know it would be simpler to upgrade the laptop to Windows 10, but I don't want to pay for it. Is there any way to use my laptop as a second screen?

lotvic 22:32 13 Jul 2018

How to use a laptop as a second monitor TechAdvisor How-To guide click here

Liam Wardle 15:54 22 Jul 2018

Hi, try this if you cannot use the built-in project display mentioned above. You need to download and install the server exe on your main pc. The client exe needs to be downloaded and installed on your laptop that you want to be a second screen. Hope this helped! Link: click here

jameelriaz 12:01 23 Jul 2018

Hi, i think i have something that might help you with this problem, just read this carefully.

Turn on your Windows laptop with any account. (Windows 8 in this demonstration.) From the Start screen, click Desktop. Connect your external display with your laptop. On the desktop window, press Windows + C keys simultaneously. Once the Charms bar opens up, click Devices. From the Devices pane in the right, click Project. On the opened Project pane, click to select the appropriate option (I.e. PC screen only, Duplicate, Extend, or Second screen only) from the available list to allow the operating system to send the visual output to the external display accordingly.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)