Hot Topics

? User Appearing In Windows Security

Condom 16:25 24 May 2020

I have noticed recently that when looking at my security settings that several files I have downloaded have an ? Unknown User with a long string on numbers after an initial S. Is this something I should be worried about and if so how do I get rid of them.

x13 18:21 24 May 2020

Which security and which settings?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 24 May 2020

S or $ ?

If $ temp files and nothing to worry about.

Secret-Squirrel 18:58 24 May 2020

...........? Unknown User with a long string on numbers after an initial S. Is this something I should be worried about ..............

No, it's nothing to worry about.

NTFS files all have a "Security Identifier" that identifies a specific named user. If the file came from a different computer then Windows won't know the name of the user and instead displays the letter S and those random numbers you're seeing. It's all normal behaviour.

Condom 20:22 24 May 2020

That makes sense to me. I was a little concerned as I came across it accidentally when clicking properties on a folder rather than on an individual file and it appeared along with my usual identifiers. Thanks Secret Squirrel for your help.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 55U1 is the best new TV you can’t buy

How to get your first design job

What's the difference between macOS and iOS/iPadOS

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs