User accounts and folders on a new laptop

john bunyan 14:09 07 Feb 2018
Answered

I am about to buy a small but powerful laptop to be used by my wife and I. There is no need for either to have any secrets!. I would like, however, to have two user accounts so that each can use their own for iTunes (separate accounts) and e mail. The HD will be a 500 gig SSD, and I will buy also a 1Tb usb HD for back up. I do not want to use the Cloud much. I intend to partition it such that the C drive will be 150 gig for programmes etc and the D for data such as pictures, music, documents etc. I want most folders to be common between the 2 accounts, except for music and e mail (Each with their own Outlook.com via an Outlook account) Then I will , on the USB HD have a 500 gig partition for occasional clones, a 150 partition for Macrium images, and a 3rd 350 gig partition as a mirror image of the PC's data partition using synch toy or similar. I have a desktop for my main use but this new laptop will be much lighter than my previous ones that my wife dislikes. On that I have 69 Gig on the C drive and only 65 on the D drive as I have few videos. Most is for music and still photos.

I would be grateful for suggestions on filing as I always find that this drifts as time goes on. I want to ensure that as much of the user generated stuff goes to the D drive. As a final question; I have Photoshop CS 5 on the desktop and could install it on the new laptop, but am inclined to try Photoshop Elements 2018 on it as it seems as good for keen amateurs and I can do scanning and editing on the desktop with its much bigger screen. Also what adapters do I need as my usb peripherals have usb connectors and the proposed laptop has only a Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port with Power Delivery

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:54 07 Feb 2018
Answer
  1. make the C: drive smaller (mine uses 35Gb on a 128Gb SSDthis includes several programs, I suggest 70Gb) and move the user folders of both accounts to the D: drive.

if you both have admin privileges then you can both access all files in either account. or you can share user folder click here -USB C adaptorsenter link description here

john bunyan 15:33 07 Feb 2018

FB

Thanks. May keep to a 250 gig Hd if a big price difference

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Honor xSport AM61