USB write protected - tried everything!

Sophie2245 20:45 16 May 2019

Hello,

I would be greatful for any help please:

I have a brand new USB device (brought 4 months ago) and have recently gone to copy and paste some photos over from my laptop to the usb. Shortly after the first few images I have encountered notification that the usb in 'write protected'. As a result it now won't let me copy over or delete any photos. I have tried all google suggestions:

Registry Formatting Wiping the disk clean Changing data values from 1 to 0

I am really stuck with what to do.

Please can anyone help resolve this?

Many thanks Sophie

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:01 16 May 2019

Write Protected?

1. go into command prompt or powershell
  2. then type "diskpart"
  3. type "list volume"
  4. then "select volume xxx" (where xxx is the write protected problem drive)
  5. then type "attributes volume clear readonly"

6. type "exit" to come out of command prompt.

7. Then try to write to the drive.
  Sophie2245 19:35 17 May 2019

Hello Fruit Bat :)

Many thanks for your response - I tried it and it came up with the following:

Virtual Disk Service Error: The operation is not supported on removable media.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:08 17 May 2019

you could try downloading and running a registry tweak

or tweak manually, Search for regedit and open the registry edit app

In the registry search for

[HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies] “WriteProtect”=dword:00000000

You will have to create a D-Word (32-bit) key with the value “0” called WriteProtect here:

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Create the key StorageDevicePolicies if it does not exist. exit the registry and reboot.

Running the tweak from the link above does all this for you.

retry to write to the USB drive

Sophie2245 22:17 19 May 2019

Hi Fruit Bat,

Thanks again for your help, but sadly already tried this and no luck :(

Thanks Sophie

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:10 20 May 2019

Make and model of USB stick?

Sophie2245 13:24 24 Jun 2019

Hi,

Sorry forgot to reply. Not sure of make and model just got it off ebay but I have brought a new one now. Thanks for your help.

Sophie

wee eddie 15:46 24 Jun 2019

Ebay is awash with fake USB Drives

kasanaprb 06:38 03 Nov 2019

Hello,

I have an HP 16GB Pen Drive which got 'write-protected' all of a sudden. So, the data on it won't delete, nor will it get formatted. I tried everything I could find on google, including:

1) DISKPART command : It is unable to change the 'current read only state' to 'No' despite giving command "attributes disk clear readonly" many times. When I try to give command 'clean', it returns an error - "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

2) REGEDIT: Went to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies and set the value to '0' but it is also not able to remove the write protection.

3) CHKDSK: Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

4) Disk Management: When I right-click on the USB volume, the option to format is non-clickable. Only 'Open', 'Explore' and 'Properties' options are visible.

5) Tried all sorts of third party softwares but none of them could remove the write-protection.

The pendrive is just 10 days old and even though it is under warranty, it contains my personal data which I can't even delete due to 'write-protection'. Hence I don't want to return it back. I need a solution so that it can start working again.

Can someone help me?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Motorola Razr (2019) : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique