URL Search Bar Won't Disappear

Beanieblob 16:14 08 Jan 2017

I opened my Windows 10 laptop this morning to finish installing PowerPoint, and a pop up asked me if I wanted to add an untrusted file to my trusted files. I clicked "accept", thinking it was talking about PowerPoint, however, a URL bar popped up at the top of my screen and won't go away. Two new applications (Chronium and Windows Accelerator or whatever) were installed afterwards. I figured by uninstalling said programs, the URL bar would go away. It's still there. I can't find anything that tells me how to get rid of it. My laptop is basically new (it was a Christmas present from 2016), so I was considering just resetting it, which I can't figure out how to do, either.

Is the URL bar normal? Is it part of an update or something? It allows me to switch browsers from Chrome (which I also uninstalled) to Internet Explorer. Is there any way to get rid of it? It shows up on every application I open, as well as my desktop when all of my tabs are closed.

lotvic 18:49 08 Jan 2017

It doesn't sound normal to me. You describe it as a URL search bar. Can you take a screenshot and upload it to an image hosting website like imgur or similar and then paste the direct link into your reply post on here so that we can see what it's all about.

Or you could just reset your laptop, but then if same thing happens when installing your extra software you'll be back to square one...

MLA2000 00:04 09 Jan 2017

It sounds as if the URL bar is a Potentially Unwanted Program, also known as a "PUP". You can try running a scan with ADWCleaner and Malwarebytes. If that doesn't work, you can try right-clicking the taskbar and selecting Task Manager, then in the bottom left corner select "more details" and then the start-up tab. If you can see the URL bar in that list you can disable it as a temporary fix (this would only prevent the bar running when you log on, but it will still be installed).

Beanieblob 01:27 09 Jan 2017

I actually figured it out. Thanks! Ending it from the Task Manager fixed it. Thank you for your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

How to learn 3D modelling in Blender

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs jeux pour apprendre à coder