Hot Topics

Upgraded to W10 from W7. Email help.

Bytegiga 10:01 11 Jan 2020

I've just upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. I was previously using Windows Live Mail 2011, which doesn't appear to be available with W10. Is there any way to set up my email so I can recover my old emails from WLM 2011?

When I click on Mail in W10 it displays a list of options (eg Outlook.com), but I don't know know which one to choose. I don't really know what I'm doing tbh.

Bytegiga 11:23 11 Jan 2020

I'm not getting anywhere with this.

I click on Mail. I click Add Account. I choose Outlook.com from the list. On the Sign In screen I choose my existing email address. I get a screen that says Verify email We sent an email to to make sure you own it. Please check your inbox and enter the security code below to finish setting up your Microsoft account.

I don't understand how I'm supposed to check my inbox if I haven't yet set up my email. Can somebody please explain how I do this?

Govan1x 11:56 11 Jan 2020

I use Windows live mail on W10 so it does work. I think it comes under Windows essentials 2012 in programs and features.

Govan1x 12:00 11 Jan 2020

Found this.

We're no longer offering the Windows Essentials 2012 suite for download, but if you already have it installed, it will continue to work as it does today. It reached end of support on January 10, 2017, and it isn't available in Windows 10.

Govan1x 12:06 11 Jan 2020

Maybe it can still be installed using a different source. So Google it or wait till someone can give you advice as where to install it from.

Bytegiga 15:17 11 Jan 2020

Tanks for the replies. No success yet. I did eventually download and install Windows Live Mail 2012, but I haven't been able to log in to it. It asks for Microsoft verification (ie They send an email with a code, but I can't access any email in order to retirve the code).

Installed Mozilla Thunderbird, but haven't been able to set up an email account.

Like I said, though, I don't really know what I'm doing. It's driving me crackers. Am I supposed to keep my existing email addresses, or create new ones? Are my old emails from Windows Live Mail 2011 lost forever?

Bytegiga 16:41 11 Jan 2020

mrgrumpy, thanks for the reply. I contacted my ISP and they (very patiently!) guided me through everything. End result:- I can now access all my old and new emails via my ISP profile, and I can stop despairing. Didn't help that I hadn't kept a record of updated passwords.

I'll forget about Windows Live Mail now (goodbye diary), and just use this.

Just glad it's sorted.

aphrodite42 16:38 12 Jan 2020

Interested in this post as I am about to get new W10 PC. Currently my email client is Microsoft Outlook 2007 which came with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 (installed by the guy who built my current PC and unfortunately he is no longer in business). I have a vast amount of emails stored in folders that contain important info that I must keep so how can I transfer these onto the new PC when I get it? Also, sorry but I don't understand the bit about using "my ISP profile". For info my ISP is Talktalk.

wee eddie 18:24 12 Jan 2020

aprodite42: Firstly, Outlook, which is part of Microsoft Office, is not the same as Outlook.com

Your emails will be stored as a .pst file. probably in the Outlook Folder within your Documents Folder on your desktop.

In order to keep them you will need to install Microsoft Office on your new PC. However M$O 2007 is no longer supported (although it will still work on your new PC, so long as your current copy is not OEM). M$ Office 2010 will no longer be supported after October this year. So it would be advisable to budget for a new copy of M$ Office.

Secret-Squirrel 19:25 12 Jan 2020

.........Currently my email client is Microsoft Outlook 2007 which came with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007............(installed by the guy who built my current PC and unfortunately he is no longer in business)..............

Do you have the disc for Office 2007 or were you never given one? If you have the disc then all you need to do is to export your Outlook PST file (which contains all your contacts, emails, calender entries etc), install Office on the new PC, then import your PST file into the new Outlook.

If you don't have a disc and aren't prepared to pay a small fortune for a new Outlook then eM client can import PST files. It's free too providing you have no more than two email accounts.

Also, LibreOffice is a great MS Office alternative. It's free and supports all the MS Office file formats - apart from Outlook and Access.

wee eddie 20:19 12 Jan 2020

SS: The only problem with your solution is that using an eMail Client will store your email addresses but all the details of your Contacts will be lost.

The only way that Outlook.pst files can be recreated is in the version of Outlook in MS Office

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 10 Launches Globally: Price, Release Date, Specs and more

Best Free, Deep Discounted tools for artists and designers 2020

How to get Apple's Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro free

Qwant moteur de recherche par défaut sur les derniers Huawei