Hot Topics

Upgraded to W10 from W7. Email help.

Bytegiga 10:01 11 Jan 2020

I've just upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. I was previously using Windows Live Mail 2011, which doesn't appear to be available with W10. Is there any way to set up my email so I can recover my old emails from WLM 2011?

When I click on Mail in W10 it displays a list of options (eg Outlook.com), but I don't know know which one to choose. I don't really know what I'm doing tbh.

Bytegiga 11:23 11 Jan 2020

I'm not getting anywhere with this.

I click on Mail. I click Add Account. I choose Outlook.com from the list. On the Sign In screen I choose my existing email address. I get a screen that says Verify email We sent an email to to make sure you own it. Please check your inbox and enter the security code below to finish setting up your Microsoft account.

I don't understand how I'm supposed to check my inbox if I haven't yet set up my email. Can somebody please explain how I do this?

Govan1x 11:56 11 Jan 2020

I use Windows live mail on W10 so it does work. I think it comes under Windows essentials 2012 in programs and features.

Govan1x 12:00 11 Jan 2020

Found this.

We're no longer offering the Windows Essentials 2012 suite for download, but if you already have it installed, it will continue to work as it does today. It reached end of support on January 10, 2017, and it isn't available in Windows 10.

Govan1x 12:06 11 Jan 2020

Maybe it can still be installed using a different source. So Google it or wait till someone can give you advice as where to install it from.

mrgrumpy 14:18 11 Jan 2020

Hi bytegiga (like the name lol )

I have 10 and I use mozilla thunderbird mail program it is dead easy to set up and you can have as many email addresses as you want , you can also use email addresses from different places as well , I have gmail and B.T. email addresses in mine.

Bytegiga 15:17 11 Jan 2020

Tanks for the replies. No success yet. I did eventually download and install Windows Live Mail 2012, but I haven't been able to log in to it. It asks for Microsoft verification (ie They send an email with a code, but I can't access any email in order to retirve the code).

Installed Mozilla Thunderbird, but haven't been able to set up an email account.

Like I said, though, I don't really know what I'm doing. It's driving me crackers. Am I supposed to keep my existing email addresses, or create new ones? Are my old emails from Windows Live Mail 2011 lost forever?

mrgrumpy 15:29 11 Jan 2020

Who is your internet provider , I am with B.T. if I think some emails have gone missing I log into my isp profile and look at the emails in the inbox.

You should be able to do this through your own internet provider so you can get the codes.

Why cant you set up thunderbird.

Your email addresses belong to you regardless of what mail program you use , you can also access them from other peoples computers by logging into your isp , that's one of the reasons security people tell you not to let anyone know your user names and passwords.

The only time you loose an email address is when an isp detects they have not been used for a VERY long time , usually a couple of years , its called burn out.

Bytegiga 16:41 11 Jan 2020

mrgrumpy, thanks for the reply. I contacted my ISP and they (very patiently!) guided me through everything. End result:- I can now access all my old and new emails via my ISP profile, and I can stop despairing. Didn't help that I hadn't kept a record of updated passwords.

I'll forget about Windows Live Mail now (goodbye diary), and just use this.

Just glad it's sorted.

aphrodite42 16:38 12 Jan 2020

Interested in this post as I am about to get new W10 PC. Currently my email client is Microsoft Outlook 2007 which came with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 (installed by the guy who built my current PC and unfortunately he is no longer in business). I have a vast amount of emails stored in folders that contain important info that I must keep so how can I transfer these onto the new PC when I get it? Also, sorry but I don't understand the bit about using "my ISP profile". For info my ISP is Talktalk.

mrgrumpy 17:07 12 Jan 2020

Ok first things first , a note to FE , aphrodite42's question about isp's etc is not part of the original thread question but he asked the question and I am giving him the answer please do not rap my knuckles for doing this.

Hello aprodite42 , I am with B.T. and their servers go on the blink a lot and wont talk to my thunderbird email program , I always know when this has happened because thunderbird puts a can't connect error on screen , I know it is B.T. problem because I never have a problem getting my gmail emails in thunderbird.

So , to answer your question , type talk talk login into your browser and from the list that comes up use the one that lets you log into your isp where you can see your own personal details such as broadband package and phone bill etc , somewhere their should be a tab for you to read your emails. I check mine frequently because sometimes the B.T. server holds back emails it "thinks" are spam.

With regards to emails stored in folders do you mean folders you made in my documents if so just save to a flash drive. I always drag and drop emails I want to save in a folder in my docs but if the folder is part of the email program you are using I don't know the answer to that.

BTW don't forget to do a printout of your address book ready for your new pc.

FOOTNOTE for future reference if you want to know the answer to something that is not part of the original question you should set up a new thread.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What’s the difference between VPN and Antivirus and do you need both?

These are the best album covers of 2019

How to pick the best iPhone insurance

Les bons plans gadgets high tech (2020)