Upgrade from Win7 to Win8 and revert back to Win7 problems if any

compumac 17:51 30 Dec 2012

I am considering upgrading my 18 month old Samsung RC710 Windows 7 laptop with 4 GB memory to Windows 8. The laptop has Acronis True image installed with regular images being created. I have created a fresh Acronis image of ‘C’ as well as a Windows 7 image and also created a Repair Windows 64bit DVD. Both in the event of failed Win8 installation or a desire to revert back to Windows 7. I welcome any thoughts on my reasoning?

My understanding that the current £24.99 offer of upgrade to Windows 8 does not include the ability for a DVD function or am I not reading this correctly? Also what are the implications of this?

What are the possible pitfalls in the upgrade as I wish to be prepared?

compumac 19:02 30 Dec 2012

Jock1e.

Had seen your posts and was one of the reasons for my posting this.

compumac 19:21 30 Dec 2012

rdave.

Did you not use the Windows 8 Upgrade assistant before installation to determine incompatible apps?

When I ran the assistant it indicated that the only problems would be:- 1 Install an app tp play DVD's.

2 Sidebar gadgets are not supported.

3 Secure Boot is not compatible with your PC.

Plus a couple of other items that I am not too bothered about at this stage. .

compumac 19:59 30 Dec 2012

rdave13.

I did assume that you probably had run the assistant and was therefore surprised when you indicated that there had been a problem with Avast. I have NIS 2013 and also Emsisoft Antimalware (paid for version) and it shows both of these as being OK.

It does make you wonder as to the accuracy of the assistant. Could it be that you are lured into a false sense of security after running the assistant, pay your money and suffer the consequences afterwards.

compumac 20:16 30 Dec 2012

rdave13.

Are you still having problems with your browsers?

How long ago did you install Win8?

compumac 22:10 30 Dec 2012

rdave13.

But at the end of the day was the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 worth it?

compumac 22:27 30 Dec 2012

rdave13

Thanks for that I might go for the download tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Inside the redesign of the world's largest computer games platform, Steam

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?