upgrade lost on crashed computer

roncamp 07:23 21 Nov 2015

My computer was automatically upgraded by MS to Windows 10 pro (previous version was Windows 7 Pro). I kept Windows 10 serial number and created a repair disk.Two weeks later the computer has fried, all lost. I bought a new computer with Windows 10 Home installed already (came with Windows 8.1 disk in the box). Can I upgrade my new computer to Windows 10 Pro by entering my previous serial number?

Forum Editor 10:31 21 Nov 2015

"Two weeks later the computer has fried, all lost."

That doesn't sound right - Windows 10 doesn't 'fry' computers, neither does it lead to everything being lost. Have you investigated the problem - we might be able to help to resolve this problem.

The answer to your question is probably no, if all you have is a repair disk, but you could try it, and see what happens.

Gordon Freeman 11:45 21 Nov 2015

Can I upgrade my new computer to Windows 10 Pro by entering my previous serial number?

I suspect the answer to this is 'no' owing to the fact that the win 10 pro was an MS update to win 7 pro on your old machine, whereas your new machine is a totally different machine & has no links to the previous upgrade which you received via MS. For your new machine you'll need to go & buy win 10 pro if you want to upgrade from 'home' version.

roncamp 15:11 22 Nov 2015

Forum Editor: No I agree, the upgrade was not the cause. Only coincidental that power surge took out the motherboard and network card after the upgrade was done. I recovered data from the old HD, most of it was kept external on NAS and the Cloud. Gordon Freeman: Thanks for your comment. I suspected this would be the case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)