Upgade from Win 7 to win 10

tonyq 15:07 23 Oct 2018

Hi all, a few weeks ago there there was a post about upgrading from Windows to windows 10 via iso file. I think I may take the plunge and upgrade. My copy of windows 7 is a OEM product will this still work ?

MJS WARLORD 16:59 23 Oct 2018

on my spare pc I got free 7 to 10 upgrade , even though Microsoft say freebie ended it can still be found and the joke is I got it from Microsoft site , I typed free 7 to 10 upgrade and used a link on pc gamer website.

I got the freebie to learn all about 10 before I bought a new games rig with it on.

lotvic 23:38 23 Oct 2018

zdnet says yes click here

tonyq 16:24 24 Oct 2018

thank you both for the reply's. Think I will upgrade to Win 10 when i pluck up the courage !!!.

tonyq 17:57 25 Oct 2018

Problem installing Windows 10 on PC.

I all, I decided to give it ago with upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. Everything seemed to be going well until I got to the section "looking for updates " or something like that, were I left it to do its thing. A few minutes later I returned to the PC where it was reinstalling Windows 7. When it had done that I had the following message

"We couldn't install Windows 10 We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10.

0x8007001F-0x20006

The installation failed in the SAFEOS phase with an error during REPLICATEOC operation."

Help/Advice please.

I don't know if it as anything to do with the problem but I was having problems with updates not installing on my Windows 7 Which is one reason I tried to update to Win 10 and have tried to many things to name that I have tried to rectify the problem.

tonyq 18:05 25 Oct 2018

Should read

The installation failed in the SAFE-OS phase with an error during REPLICATE-OC operation.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:34 25 Oct 2018
  tonyq 16:00 27 Oct 2018

Fruit Bat, thank you for the info. I have gone through the things to try but sorry to say, to no avail. The only problem that I came across while going through them was when I was instructed to use the "Command Prompt" which would not run with the instructions given. I think I will try to load a "Image" of the win 7 OS that I made about 2 months ago, and see how that goes, unless you have more things to try ? thanks again.

MJS WARLORD 16:46 27 Oct 2018

when 10 first came out Microsoft had links to see if a pc could handle 10 , not all older machines can , btw my old 7 was OEM , a Packard bell pc , the free 10 installed ok.

tonyq 17:26 04 Nov 2018

Update

I think I have tried everything now, the latest is to re-install my Windows 7 OS which was a long job. I then tried running the ISO file and then the ISO on a DVD which would not install win 10,it came up stating that the key for my Win 7 was not the correct one which I tried several times to no avail, so I think I will have to stay with my Win 7, unless you good people know something else.

rdave13 18:23 04 Nov 2018

During the install when it asks for the key select " I do not have a product key " to carry on the installation. It should then upgrade to Windows 10 and be activated. Instead of having to re-install Windows 7, and all the updates, if you get issues, why not use Macrium Reflect to create an image on an external drive?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL