Unknown password on a laptop

Debran 00:46 21 Jun 2018

Need help with a laptop. My husband passed away and I did not know his password. The laptop is running Windows XP. Is there anything I can do to allow me access and the ability to use this laptop?

Taff™ 11:27 21 Jun 2018

Debran,

Do you need access to anything on the laptop? If not I suggest you might restore it to Factory settings and maybe install a Linux (Free) Operating system such as Ubuntu which is more upto date than XP.

In fairness XP is not supported anymore and will cause you more problems than it is worth in my opinion.

Let us know!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:24 21 Jun 2018

Easy stuff first (XP is not that secure) I'm surewe can get past the password one way or another.

Reset password for Windows XP by hitting f8 at bootup, select safe mode, at logon, go to the admin account, hit enter, and the password is now reset.

Just press and hold "Ctrl" and "Alt" and press "Delete" twice while the Welcome Screen is displayed.

Type in "Administrator" as the username, and leave the password field blank

If he created a password for the built-in administrator account, this wont work!!

Taff™ 12:35 21 Jun 2018

Back in the day Fruitbat we weren't allowed to tell people how to crack passwords! You would have Forum Editor deleting posts LOL

But you are correct. Hirons Boot Disc has a tool to remove it too! And that still works on Windows 10.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:33 21 Jun 2018

Taff™

Don't think anyone is going to steal a XP PC nowadays :0)

Taff™ 13:38 21 Jun 2018

LOL There is that too! Maybe Peter lost his big red pen!

Fruitbat I need help in Tech Room with Remote Desktop Software - would value your input mate

Govan1x 15:08 21 Jun 2018

Try tapping F8 as the computer starts and choose safe mode without networking.

When it opens to add passwords etc there should be 2 passwords one for you late husband. And one for the computer administrator.

Choose the computer administrator one and press ok as it does not need a password.

if you get passed that maybe open a new user account if you can as administrator.And see if you can use that to open XP normally.

It is years since I have used XP so not sure if that still works or not but worth giving it a try.

Taff™ 15:41 21 Jun 2018

Following on from that. If you do start a new user as administator you can go to User Management from Control Panel and then to your ex- husbands account. In there you can remove is old password.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 8 Review

Adobe confirms it’s working on a full Photoshop for the iPad

Apple announces new MacBook Pros for 2018

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?