Hot Topics

Unallocated space on External Hard Drive

Seamus McGill 23:05 26 Oct 2019

Recently my son was setting up a flash drive for a clean install of Windows on his computer. Some how it went on to an external hard drive which we use for mostly videos and photographs. It created a new partition leaving all the original files in an unallocated section of the drive. I have looked at the drive and can see the unallocated space with all the files still there. How do we bring back the unallocated space? The Windows boot partition is not required. I am writing this on my MacBook and have the drive attached to my Windows Laptop. Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:10 27 Oct 2019
  1. if you can copy all the files to the MAc before trying anything else.

2. with the drive attached to the windows pc have you tried using disk management to assign a letter to the unallocated space

Secret-Squirrel 09:33 28 Oct 2019

I have looked at the drive and can see the unallocated space **with all the files still there**.

Unallocated space doesn't contain any files so please clarify what you mean by that statement.

Siwalo 06:58 10 Jan 2020

There are several methods could fix this error. But I suggest you first recover the data from the unallocated Hard drive and then try efficient methods to fix it. You can try Bitwar Data Recovery to scan the hard drive, and you can preview the files. Then you can select those you want to retrieve and click "Recover".

The you can try Solve Hard Drive Unallocated Windows 10 with Control Panel ● Open Control Panel by entering “Control Panel” in the search box of the Start Menu. ●Go to the Administrative Tools window. ● Select the Computer Management icon. Click Disk Management. ● Right-click the unallocated hard drive. ● Choose New Simple Volume from the pop-up menu. Click Next. ● Step 6. Use the Simple Volume Size in the MB text box as the size of the new volume. Click Next. ● Step 7. Choose a drive letter for the new volume. Click Next. Make sure the option Format This Volume with the following setting is chosen. ● Step 8. Select NTFS as a file system. Click Next.

You can also fix this error with CMD and Disk Management or by Expanding Partitions.

Hope this would help you.

Siwalo 07:03 10 Jan 2020

There are several methods could fix this error. But I suggest you first recover the data from the unallocated Hard drive and then try efficient methods to fix it.

You can use Bitwar Data Recovery to scan the hard drive, and you can preview to select what you want to recover. Then you just click "Recover" to retrieve the files.

Then you can solve Hard Drive Unallocated Windows 10 with Control Panel ● Open Control Panel by entering “Control Panel” in the search box of the Start Menu. ●Go to the Administrative Tools window. ● Select the Computer Management icon. Click Disk Management. ● Right-click the unallocated hard drive. ● Choose New Simple Volume from the pop-up menu. Click Next. ● Step 6. Use the Simple Volume Size in the MB text box as the size of the new volume. Click Next. ● Step 7. Choose a drive letter for the new volume. Click Next. Make sure the option Format This Volume with the following setting is chosen. ● Step 8. Select NTFS as a file system. Click Next.

You can also fix this error with CMD and Disk Management or by Expanding Partitions. Good luck.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What’s the difference between VPN and Antivirus and do you need both?

These are the best album covers of 2019

How to pick the best iPhone insurance

Les bons plans gadgets high tech (2020)