Unallocated space on External Hard Drive

Seamus McGill 23:05 26 Oct 2019

Recently my son was setting up a flash drive for a clean install of Windows on his computer. Some how it went on to an external hard drive which we use for mostly videos and photographs. It created a new partition leaving all the original files in an unallocated section of the drive. I have looked at the drive and can see the unallocated space with all the files still there. How do we bring back the unallocated space? The Windows boot partition is not required. I am writing this on my MacBook and have the drive attached to my Windows Laptop. Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:10 27 Oct 2019
  1. if you can copy all the files to the MAc before trying anything else.

2. with the drive attached to the windows pc have you tried using disk management to assign a letter to the unallocated space

Secret-Squirrel 09:33 28 Oct 2019

I have looked at the drive and can see the unallocated space **with all the files still there**.

Unallocated space doesn't contain any files so please clarify what you mean by that statement.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Motorola Razr (2019) : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique