Unable to change HDD drive letter.

jason_mic2000 07:31 02 Apr 2017

Ok so I have an Alienware 15 R2 which has a 128GB ssd on drive C and a 1TB hdd on drive D. The laptop does not have a DVD drive but when I started up the laptop today it showed my 1TB hdd on drive E and was showing a CD drive on drive D. So I couldn't even change the hdd back to drive D. What should I do? Coz I got a lot of games and other big applications on the hdd. Any help would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:46 02 Apr 2017

Assuming you must have plugged in a USB drive recently?

tr changing the CD drive to F: this will leave D free and then you can change the HDD to D:

jason_mic2000 10:28 02 Apr 2017

I tried it but the thing is I don't have a CD drive.. So I can't really change the drive letter of the CD drive as it doesn't show up in in Disk Partition Manager eventhough it shows up in This PC..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:11 02 Apr 2017

so what shows up in disk management?

if the cd drive isn't shown there then D: should be available

jason_mic2000 12:44 02 Apr 2017

Disk management shows the OS drive as drive C and the data drive as drive E. But when I try changing the drive letter, D does not show up as an option.

jason_mic2000 13:10 02 Apr 2017

Ok it's working fine now. Turns out that the portable hotspot I had connected via usb to charge was acting as the CD drive. So I just unplugged that and was able to reroute the Data drive to D.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro review

8 digital brands that designed custom typefaces to save millions

How to speed up a slow Mac

Comment résoudre des problèmes d’impressions ?