Trying to save money on Windows 10 disk

peresso _ 14:49 09 Jan 2017

I'm currently ordering parts to build a pc. My price is already high and I'm finding ways to cut down. Windows 10 is one of the most expensive. Now, my friend has a windows 10 disk and code that he already used but he is currently using windows 7. Is it possible for me to use his disk and code or will it be invalid?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:22 09 Jan 2017

If its retail shouldn't be a problem but you never know now its linked to hardware and your Microsoft Account

peresso _ 16:52 09 Jan 2017

@fruit bat so you're still saying that there is a possibility that it would not work?

wee eddie 18:19 09 Jan 2017

If it has already been used on another PC, then it will not allow you to register.

lotvic 22:24 09 Jan 2017

However you could get Windows 7 which is cheaper, and then update for free to Windows 10. It's still possible to do that via the MS Accessibility site. Details on pcadvisor article click here

peresso _ 14:37 10 Jan 2017

Blockquote lotvic 22:24 09 Jan 17 However you could get Windows 7 which is cheaper, and then update for free to Windows 10. It's still possible to do that via the MS Accessibility site. Details on pcadvisor article click here

I still need to be able to boot up my pc and windows 7 isn't available in my country

Jollyjohn 15:48 10 Jan 2017

Is this site available to you? click here If so you can download W7 and burn it to a CD / USB stick and install it from there. If you pick the same version your friend has then once you have a licence key you could use his disc, if he has one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)